Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Fender Twin reverb models are good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
    This post is not a good start for you on this forum.
    Yeah, no shit... take a hike moorehuffman, you're the one acting like a dick.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by moorehuffman View Post
      You are missing the real question which is "Which Twin Reverbs are most widely accepted as having the best sound." Yes you are right, at the end of the day it's just a matter of opinion, but there are certain amps that are more sought after as it's mutually agreed that they sound better to more people. It's clear to everyone else responding what the question really is. Do you "hate" that someone is simply trying to gather more info on what the consensus is? Do you not understand the value in consensus? You could apply your point to ANYTHING! Are you suggesting that you don't ever ask about anyone else's opinion on what is "best" or "good? Are you too good for that? You sound like a d*ck.
      Enzo has been around a long time here and is a well respected member moorehuffman. You on the other hand are making your first post and go out of your way to call someone else names? What is wrong with you! Have some respect for others. Enzo is exactly right in that everyone hears differently and has different preferences, so asking which one is best or not will generate a whole bunch of opinions, and all of them are valid.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by moorehuffman View Post
        Bla bla bla
        It’s possible that someone is putting us on.

Consider the following:
        1. A new member registers and puts up a first post on the same day
        2. No profile information is entered
        3. It’s a really jerky post
        4. He decided to pick on Enzo
        5. The member’s handle breaks down to “More Huff Man”
        6. The Huffer is familiar with the forum or one that uses similar SW because
          1. Reply with quote feature is used
          2. An edit is done 11 minutes after the initial post

7. No useful advice for the OP was given.
        8. No further activity after 5 days

That’s what I suspect anyway.

There is at least one good thing. He used capitalization and punctuation while he huffed.

Cheers,
        Tom

Comment

Well, for what it's worth, the guy's IP address and geolocation doesn't match any of our known pain-in-the-ass members. (I'm surprised there is so few of them.)

It's probably just some random guy who thought he did all his research right and bought the best Fender Twin, and then Enzo's post came out of leftfield and blew his world apart.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I'm not sure, is it elitism that I sniff..? Let newbies ask their questions. Post like #2 isn't really necessary to score point here or is it..? The dude only wanted to talk about his childhood dream, getting one of those Twin Reverbs.
            In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

When someone asks such an open-ended and subjective question for which there is no correct answer, it isn't elitist at all to ask them to clarify their question or to provide a better basis for advice. Go back to the OP and substitute "Pizza" for "model twin" and "toppings" for "speakers". The question reads about the same, is still completely subjective with no meaningful answer unless we know a bit more about what the OP actually thinks is good. You could recommend a hand tossed wood fire cooked pizza from a place in Yonkers, only to find that the OP meant frozen pizza. Also, The OP got his answer 3 years ago. So tell me, what is the best underwear? What materials and fabric weaves are most comfortable?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
                When someone asks such an open-ended and subjective question for which there is no correct answer, it isn't elitist at all to ask them to clarify their question or to provide a better basis for advice. Go back to the OP and substitute "Pizza" for "model twin" and "toppings" for "speakers". The question reads about the same, is still completely subjective with no meaningful answer unless we know a bit more about what the OP actually thinks is good. You could recommend a hand tossed wood fire cooked pizza from a place in Yonkers, only to find that the OP meant frozen pizza. Also, The OP got his answer 3 years ago. So tell me, what is the best underwear? What materials and fabric weaves are most comfortable?
                You're trying to state that there's no elitism in this thread by posting this..?

Don't rush to defend post like #2, you won't score any 'forum gurus BEEP licking point' by that. And I sincerely hope you won't by stupid noob bashing.

For your information, there are many ways of saying, care to elaborate, #2 to is a not so good way.

Comment

Originally posted by überfuzz View Post
                  You're trying to state that there's no elitism in this thread by posting this..?

Don't rush to defend post like #2, you won't score any 'forum gurus BEEP licking point' by that. And I sincerely hope you won't by stupid noob bashing.

For your information, there are many ways of saying, care to elaborate, #2 to is a not so good way.
                  I'm not here to win "points" as David Schwab can attest, and I'm not here to bash "noobs"...unless called for. You might have noticed that I was the one that answered the OP's question, and it was indeed a "noob" kind of question. I don't see anything out of line with Enzo's response and if Enzo hadn't said what he did, I might have posted something similar because I think it DID need to be said. This forum has always been technically oriented and for the most part the members here tend not to be the kind of people who sit around chit-chatting about "what pickup goes well with a Boogie Dual Rec in a PRS" or "what vintage Jensen has the most savory mids and dreamy highs". If you want that kind of discourse you can find it in abundance at The Gear Page or Harmony Central. I come here for disambiguation and to discuss specific problems and issues with equipment because this is where the people who can help hang out. If that sounds "elitist" to you then, merry Christmas! there's your elitism. This place is what it is. Don't sit down in a Thai restaurant and get bent out of shape because they don't serve hamburgers. This Zombie thread needs a "double tap."

Comment

I agree that Enzo's argument of "it's all subjective" is not that helpful to a beginner. You need experience to discover what your taste actually is, and the usual way to get it is by wasting money on a pile of random gear until the day you find "your sound".

This can take years, and in the meantime you are evolving as a musician too. It's quite possible that the rig you end up with is one that you'd have hated when you started out.

So in that sense, maybe Enzo's argument isn't so far off.

My favourite twin would be the 70s UL ones that everyone hates, because they're cheap platforms for modding
                    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                      I agree that Enzo's argument of "it's all subjective" is not that helpful to a beginner. You need experience to discover what your taste actually is, and the usual way to get it is by wasting money on a pile of random gear until the day you find "your sound".

This can take years, and in the meantime you are evolving as a musician too. It's quite possible that the rig you end up with is one that you'd have hated when you started out.

So in that sense, maybe Enzo's argument isn't so far off.

My favourite twin would be the 70s UL ones that everyone hates, because they're cheap platforms for modding
                      I'd say Enzo is spot on, but as I wrote. There are many ways of saying it. All the OP reads in #2 is some forum wiz trying to bash him. (Wowing followers only makes is worse by blindly defending things like #2.)

Comment

Well, fact is that the OP opened a can of worms with his questions, which have no definite answer, and are open to endless subjective discussion.
                        And he did not open *one* can of worms, but *four*

Can #1)
                        - Which Fender Twin reverb models are average, good, and best ? And why? (I mean which year model?)
                        What is average? What is good? What is best ?
                        Most important: WHO says so? Is he to be trusted?
                        And then, WHY xxx says the exact opposite to what YYY does?
                        And what about zzz's opinion?
                        On and on and on.

Can #2)
                        - Which year model does have best speakers and what is their brand?
                        Same considerations.

Can #3)
                        - Are CBS-age models bad or good?
                        This might be the only question on which there is some consense.
                        And then, it must be qualified.
                        The first year or two of CBS rule were damaging, but then they half backtracked (by necessity) and cleaned their act.
                        And then they simply evolved even more into what they thought was necessary in a guitar amp; loud and clean, ending with the incredibly loud and clean UL types, making them much more so by offering JBL speakers, go figure.
                        I have friends and customers which use and *love* them.
                        No, they don't play smoky greasy blues, for which these are not the best.
                        And those later CBS Twins were not "cheaply built" by any means !!!!

Can #4)
                        - How about latest models 2000-2009 years?
                        Even in that relatively small span of time, there were many very different models to choose from: Reissues, "red knobs", Cybertwins, etc. so grouping them by year alone is meaningless.

So, in a nutshell, a proper answer for the OP question might be printed and bound, pictures and covers added, and sold in Amazon as "The Fender Twin History", 474 pages, etc.
                        jm2c
                        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                        X