X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new here..have you seen this?

this was hard (for me) to find

its supposedly what an EMG 81 has inside...a pretty crappy op amp:

terrible slew rate (~1V/us) and could in theory run at 36VDC (!)... anyone run 4 x 9v batteries?

Slew rate is much worse, around 0.2 V/uS.
    The op amp was chosen for battery life and
    draws only 100uA.

There are better inexpensive opamps that will work just as well.

For comparison, the OPA2604 is a recording-grade audio opamp
    that draws ~11ma and would drain your average 9V battery
    in less than a day.

-drh
    "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

That schematic has been kicking around the web for years with no way to know if in fact that's the op-amp EMG chose to use. EMG lists their max supply voltage as 27V not 36V. In their active bass electronics they like to use LM442s I see no reason why they would drop to this when batt savings really isn't an issue for most folks.

"Aktive", "Shema"? Only scandinavians spell like that...

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
        That schematic has been kicking around the web for years with no way to know if in fact that's the op-amp EMG chose to use. EMG lists their max supply voltage as 27V not 36V. In their active bass electronics they like to use LM442s I see no reason why they would drop to this when batt savings really isn't an issue for most folks.

"Aktive", "Shema"? Only scandinavians spell like that...
        I think it's Polska. I actually know where this came from. I posted some photos of the innards of the 81 some time ago sent to me by a pickup maker in Poland. The same fellow and a friend reverse engineered the circuit from the PCB extracted from the 81. It took quite some time... a couple of years actually (not saying they were working on it the whole time). But that's when he sent me that schematic.

If I remember they didn't know what op-amp is was because it was marked with a private label number.
        Attached Files
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          I think it's Polska. I actually know where this came from. I posted some photos of the innards of the 81 some time ago sent to me by a pickup maker in Poland. The same fellow and a friend reverse engineered the circuit from the PCB extracted from the 81. It took quite some time... a couple of years actually (not saying they were working on it the whole time). But that's when he sent me that schematic.

If I remember they didn't know what op-amp is was because it was marked with a private label number.
          wow a cloak and dagger pickup maker!...I guess it shouldn't just be the amp heads digging through Dumble epoxy potting compound.

To paraphrase the Head of Coke when asked by a writer if he could publish their secret recipe: we don't rely on secrets to keep market share...we've got marketing for that...

EMG is worshiped by (too) many

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
            wow a cloak and dagger pickup maker!...I guess it shouldn't just be the amp heads digging through Dumble epoxy potting compound.

To paraphrase the Head of Coke when asked by a writer if he could publish their secret recipe: we don't rely on secrets to keep market share...we've got marketing for that...

EMG is worshiped by (too) many
            Sometimes it's just curiosity. Though I can't speak for the motives of the guys that ripped the 81 apart. He did say it was dead though.

I ripped apart a working SA once, just because I like taking things apart.

I have no desire to copy it, but I did learn a couple of things in the process.

Boy they wind a lot of wire on them bobbins!
            Attached Files
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X