Peavey Bandit 112 transtube 2001 sheffield spkr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Bandit 112 transtube 2001 sheffield spkr

My amp is pissed , the handle has a nut that holds it , it came loose and dropped onto the circuit board, (a little tape would have prevented this) Now it sounds distorted and real low even on clean channel, all the pots function the 3 fuses are fine , and I cannot see any burn marks on the nut or the board so im not sure what happened. I was thinking it was the speaker because I was using a RP-6 through the guitar input and not the effects loop but I checked the speaker out and its fine. I could record and send a sound file (using audacity) on how it sounds now if it would help.
    TIA !!!

The overdrive channel sounds almost okay but not as loud and a weird chorus like decay in the sound..
    The clean channel sounds shot , real chorus like and like its on a fuzz box . This sucks !!!
    Last edited by Billmon; 04-11-2009, 09:07 PM.

Hi and welcome to the forum Billmon.
    It's not the first time a handle nut has reeked havoc !
    Need to work out if the fault is now in the pre or power amp.
    I'm not familiar with that particular model but I presume it has an effects send and return.
    Try plugging into the return although faint you may be able to tell if it still has the distorted sound there.
    Also plugging into the input then feeding the effects send into another amp will tell you if the pre-amp is ok .
    I suspect the power amp but you will need a multimeter to take some measurements.
    Is the layout the same as the attached (express Transtube) ?
    Attached Files

Comment

I tried putting a jack in the return no change. I do have a multimeter and I'm pretty confident re soldering if I can locate a blown capacitor.
      I saw that you could clean the jacks , but it is far from the problem.

Is there a way to step by step locate the problem?
      Not that Ill tottally understand but do you have a parts list on that schematic?

Why wouldn't they put tape over the frigging nuts?? LOFNL
      Thanks for the reply !!!
      Last edited by Billmon; 04-12-2009, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Billmon View Post
        I tried putting a jack in the return no change. I do have a multimeter and I'm pretty confident re soldering if I can locate a blown capacitor.
        I saw that you could clean the jacks , but it is far from the problem.

Is there a way to step by step locate the problem?
        Not that Ill tottally understand but do you have a parts list on that schematic?

Why wouldn't they put tape over the frigging nuts?? LOFNL
        Thanks for the reply !!!
        Yes, I am sure YOU will tape them when you fix the other problem. You probably don't have major damage. I read a thread a week ago about a Classic 30 or 50 having the same thing happen. I think he siliconed over the nuts.
        sigpicCharlieP
        (2)Peavey VK 112 2008
        Fender SuperSonic 60W 112 2010, 5E3 Build Mojotone
        Met. Red LP Gibson Robot 2008 Tronical Tuners
        Faded Cherry LP Gibson 2007
        Fender Strat HSS LSR S1 2008 Pearl
        Fend FSR Telebot Dlx Candy App 2011 Tronical Tuners
        Gretsch G5120 2007 Black

Comment

yeah LOL thats what I did first thing when I got the handle back on . Damn engineers overlooking big potential problems.
          So this is common????
          Im hoping this thread will help others with a problem like this !!!
          I wrote an email to peavey explaining , hopefully they will help me , I will let you guys know how they handle this. Keep the suggestions coming!!
          Last edited by Billmon; 04-12-2009, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure if that was/is the correct diagram for your amp.
            It's only a layout diagram not a schematic.
            Peavey should be able to supply you with the correct one.
            However for starters (if its the right layout) check to see you have
            the two plus and minus 15volt dc supplys.
            C79 and C65 should have approx 15v across them.
            On the layout diagram I supplied they should be on the right centre
            just left of the bigger caps.

Comment

Actually they ARE aware of that potential problem. A lot of the amps use T-nuts in the cab, which don;t as a rule fall out. But tape is not the solution either for amps that use nuts. Go to the hardware and get a couple "Nylok" nuts of the appropriate size and thread. These are regular steel nuts, but they also have a plastic insert on one side that grips the bolt threads. They don;t work loose.

If you CALLed customer service at Peavey and told them the handle nuts fell into the circuitry and caused trouble, I wouldn;t be surprised if they just sent you a couple nylok nuts.

I would bet my lunch money that you have a burnt out semiconductor on the board. COuld be a transistor, a diode, or an op amp IC, who knows?
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

there are nylock nuts on it from the factory.
                How do I check the conductors? by putting the electrodes on either side of the conductor to check voltage??

as per post to check the c79 c65???
                thank you.

Comment

Nyloks shouldn;t come loose.

Semiconductors are the transistors and related parts. Your meter has a diode test function, or should. COnsult the owners manual for you meter for how to use that.

As to those caps, as he said, see what voltage is across them.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

peavy express 112 datasheet

Originally posted by oc disorder View Post
                    Hi and welcome to the forum Billmon.
                    It's not the first time a handle nut has reeked havoc !
                    Need to work out if the fault is now in the pre or power amp.
                    I'm not familiar with that particular model but I presume it has an effects send and return.
                    Try plugging into the return although faint you may be able to tell if it still has the distorted sound there.
                    Also plugging into the input then feeding the effects send into another amp will tell you if the pre-amp is ok .
                    I suspect the power amp but you will need a multimeter to take some measurements.
                    Is the layout the same as the attached (express Transtube) ?
                    Hello, and thanks for the image.
                    I am trying to repair this peavy amp, does anybody know where can I found the datasheet?
                    Thank you again!

Comment

Peavey Transtube Special 212 Schematic

Here is the Transtube schematic.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
                        Here is the Transtube schematic.
                        Thank you!
                        I was getting mad looking for it among the web.
                        I also would need the Peavy - Express 112 schematic. Please, do you know where I can get it?
                        Thanks!

Comment

Contact Peavey.

customerservice@peavey.com

(800) 752-7896 (toll free in the US) or 601-483-5365 Ext# 1386

Comment

thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X