What holds the eyelet board in a 5e3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Reso.
    The drawings of the jacks on the "layout" were hard for me to decipher.
    I didnt connect those 'switch' lugs to ground on those first inputs because I didnt see that shown on the layout.

I hope this is the cause of the howling low super feedback im getting when using both volume knobs because this will be an easy fix if so.

Im going to wait until next weekend to do it tho because I have a friend who can come over and show me how to open it up safely and drain the caps before fixing it.

The wife left me alone in the house for an hour last night and I was able to crank it up finally...oh man......thats the sound Ive been after!

Comment

For what it is worth, here is how I drain capacitors. This is from Gerald Weber's assorted books and videos as well as the "Tube Amp 101" video.
      I use a jumper from pin 1 of the first preamp tube to ground. Leave it hooked up for a minute or so. Then from pin 3 of a 6V6 to ground for another minute or so. This supposedly drains all the charge from the caps.
      I have never been shocked, but then I try not to do anything too stupid either.
      Good luck with the changes.

Comment

Thanks Reso Guy, Im gonna have my friend show me how to open it up and work on it safely. hopefully he has some time this weekend to do that because naturally, I am anxious to fix this amp.

having played it a while longer there are some strange things Ive noticed.
        If i plug nothing into it and turn the volume up to 4 and tap the amp, it produces the strange feedbackish sound like the sound of a phono needle too close to the stereo speakers. Until today the amp seemed remarkably quiet, but today I was getting a buzz that disappeared when i touched the chassis (ground?)...also some faint radio like noise. and then ....I noticed a very very quiet ticking that increased in volume with the tone knob. the ticking seemed to be coming from inside the chassis itself, not the speaker but it was so faint it was really hard to tell.

I wont get to open it up til sunday im guessing , but if those symptoms ring a bell for any of you, it would be nice to have an idea of what to look for.
        Cheers!
        -Ben

Comment

Ben, here is what I would check first for a lot of those symptoms. Put your amp up on your workbench, take the back off and turn it on.
          Assuming you are right handed, put your left hand in your pocket and leave it there. Gently tap each tube one at a time with a finger nail. I will bet you have one or more microphonic tubes in there. Replacing those will let you concentrate on other internal issues.

Comment

Working...
          X