Magnets and some quick discharge tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnets and some quick discharge tests

I have asked a few questions lately relating to charging magnets and gauss meters as well as discharging magnets.

I finally built my winder (still waiting to wind my first). I also put together a magnetizer using two Neo's and David Schwab's drill press vice idea (at least he has said it enough to make it his baby). I also picked up a tool demagnetizer and wondered what effect that would have for reducing the pickup charge or gauss.

First the Vice and Neo blocks worked great. I have a large piece of slippery plastic wedged between them when it is stored away and when the vice is open the magnets can get pretty close without releasing from the vice jaws. So far I see no reason to add additional hold downs. I still have to build a carrier to help pass the magnet/pickups through. I did figure out that to charge the top south meant facing the pickup towards the north pole. Always learning, maybe I should mark the direction in reverse so I know what side charges what direction on the pickups

Anyway I have an old velvet hammer 54 Strat pickup which looks to have some kind of short; maybe (reading 4.5ohms) So I have been using this as a test platform. I wanted to see what effect an electronic tool demagnetizer would have since I mentioned it and got a minimal response. I took initial gauss readings on the pickup and then started swiping the pickup across the demagnetizer in several different orientations about a 1/2" above the device. I used the gauss meter (my new Alpha lab) to see the effects.

With the rods horizontal and facing left to right the demagnetizer dropped the gauss by 100 (from 1156 to 1056). Changing the direction of the rods (front to rear) but still horizontal caused a 300 gauss drop in the field. If you hold the rods vertically you will discharge the magnets to about 70 gauss. Multiple swipes did not change the readings very much from the initial gauss drop. I was not trying to count swipes and duration of the swipe. Just looking for a general result.

Now I discharged a recharged the pickup several times so the results were repeatable. I did not buy the device to discharge magnets but demagnetize metal working tools. At $29 (shars.com) it may be something interesting for some to try out. Possibly better than using a ceramic magnet?

your Velvet Hammer may not have a short, they used 40-41 gauge wire so they don't measure what you expect they will. I hope you didn't cut the wire off they are valuable pickups....
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I have had this single pickup since the early 80's. What do you consider valuable since it is missing a cover, but is still intact I had no reason to play doctor with a single strat pickup. I was planning on testing it at some point.

Comment

Does the pickup read 4.5k or 4.5 ohms? Big difference there!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
          Does the pickup read 4.5k or 4.5 ohms? Big difference there!

Greg
          K Ohms

Comment

Well if they used 40 or 41 gauge as Possum mentioned, then 4.5k is about right I should think......

Greg

Comment

Working...
            X