Multivox Tape Echo (just like Roland 201) has low output distorted echo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multivox Tape Echo (just like Roland 201) has low output distorted echo

Hi all, it looks like there are some folks around here familiar with these old tape echo machines. I have a Multivox MX-201 unit (nearly identical to the Rolands) that has a very distorted echo and low output. The reverb works fine and passes cleanly. I had it repaired for the same thing years ago but I've no idea what the tech did and I live all the way across the country now anyway. I got a schematic and attempted to audio probe the thing but the printing was so bad I could barely follow not to mention that keeping the unit on while apart and able to reach inside was nearly impossible. I also cleaned the heads to no avail. Any ideas? Or maybe someone can recommend a shop for repair in the LA/OC area?

Sounds like a bias problem to me....providing the playback head and assocoaited circuits are ok.
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

First things that I check are the tape and the heads.

How old and what condition is the tape in?

Have you cleaned and demagnetized the heads recently?

Comment

What 52BILL said: Clean and demag the heads, replace the tape and recheck. If you STILL have a problem, then you need a tech. This is the first thing any (good) tech would do.

I've done a good number of these units, and they sound much better when you replace the tape with GOOD audio tape like Ampex/Quantegy 499, BASF SM900, or something similar. If you CAN find a replacement tape for that, it is pretty ratty by now.

BTW- This is the ONLY way I fly if an echo unit uses 1/4" tape, no matter who made the unit. Most of the original tapes were garbage anyway.
        John R. Frondelli
        dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Cool... I'll try replacing the tape and doing a clean/demag and then report back. Thanks!

Comment

Demag, clean, and replacing tape did nothing really. The echoes are still very distorted and it's not passing any dry signal at all actually. It's purely wet and very nasty. So I need a tech for it, preferably in the LA area. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

Look up Advanced Musical Electronics on Vanowen Street. Super shop! Ask for Ruth and tell her I sent you.
              John R. Frondelli
              dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Thanks for the tip! This place is even in a great location for me.

Comment

Agreed on all the first things to check ie:cleaning & such.

FYI, find an old 8-track tape at your local thrift store & use that to replace the existing old tape. It works just fine w/o spending too much dough. Be certain that the brown (oxide) side of the 8-track you find is not all worn out. Pick one that is a consistent brown & has no lines etched in it (that indicates it's probably very worn out).

Also the RE-201's had issues like most old electronics with the little electrolytic coupling & emitter bypass capacitors either shorting or opening or just degrading in value.

Signal tracing will usually ferret those things out. glen

Comment

Check out Valley Sound on Cahuenga Blvd. in No. Hollywood. We've fixed about 4 of those (tape echo machines) so far this year.

Comment

Working...
                    X