Opinions on availible parts wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on availible parts wanted

As I'm still no expert on pickup winding, having done some 40 odd pickups, I obviously have much more to learn. Because of that I have a question that I would like to ask regarding HB parts and suppliers of those.

I think that I by now have a pretty good perception of how the magnet (type and strength), base plate (material) and Wire (type and winding pattern) affect the tone. Oh, and the covers. But I still have to learn a bit more about the other parts. Or more specific; who makes good parts and how do they sound. I don’t have the possibility to do like some guys on this board that makes all their parts them self (or buy bulk from their personal specs). I would like to find ready made parts with specific characteristics and I would like to get some help finding what I’m after (calm down, I will be more specific in a second).

What I would like to do is to make up some type of “reference list” on parts and their impact on the sound. I have searched the forum and seen notes like “StewMacs screws are bright” and “Mojo screws are dark sounding”. Are these only random personal opinions or are there any consensus on readily available parts from suppliers and what they do to the sound. I’m looking for sources for, let’s say, bright vs. dark sounding screws, slugs and keeper bars.

I know that all I probably will get is just opinions. But hey, your opinions might at least get me a starting direction for some parts to try out.

And as it also seems that there are only a few suppliers for parts a similar reference list like who actually makes what parts available through what channel sounds like something we could pin on top of the forum…

Hey Peter,

What your asking is not an easy question to answer because different parts alter the sound differently when other pieces are different as well. i.e. Mojo screws with an A4 magnet are dull, but with A5 they are pretty good. Finding good combinations that work for you is the key. Then there is the crowd that gets into using specific combinations of alloys - i.e. PAF specific .. Dont even get Gundry started!

Personally I havent found a screw I like off the shelf. I got super lucky and found someone that had EXACTLY what I wanted instock. They had 11000 and I bought them for like $200 and change.

To get you started I think people tend to like the mojo slugs, the stewmac keepers, the stewmac or allparts bobbins (they are the same), and the stewmac or allparts baseplates (also the same).

Screws, Magnets, and Covers are really where the mojo is for many makers.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
      I think people tend to like the mojo slugs, the stewmac keepers, the stewmac or allparts bobbins (they are the same), and the stewmac or allparts baseplates (also the same).
      And yet, a frequent slam you hear around these parts is about the "stewmac kit winders" - those stewmac slugs must really suck, hard.

Comment

He he, I know it is certainly not an easy question. I also know that all I ever gonna get is opinions, but I'm fine with that. I really need a bit of guidance

But are really Allparts and SM the same bobbins. I heard that SK sold the Allparts bobbins And they are not like the SM bobbins. The once I got from SK are the same as Mojo and they both have the Little bit of "off cut" on the lower flange and not 100% solid cores. And the last time (some 3-4 years ago) I ordered Bobbins from SM they were not like that at all. But hey, I might been mistaken about the SK and Allparts bobbin being the same...

Anyway I have like 500 bobbins of different version on their way to me directly from Korea, so I might not be thinking to much about that part in the future...

Please keep the opinions om screws, slugs and keeper bars coming, I'm all ears and very thankful for any help I can get.

Comment

And that ladies and gentlemen is why I LOVE winding strat pickups Good wire, good mags and you're off to the races! No keepers, bobbins, baseplates, poles, screws, magnets, covers. Christ, why do you people do this to yourselves!!!
          www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
            And that ladies and gentlemen is why I LOVE winding strat pickups Good wire, good mags and you're off to the races!
            christ, why do you people do this to yourselves!!!
            hummmmmmmmm...buzzzzzzzz......

I refuse to use single coils.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kerr View Post
              And yet, a frequent slam you hear around these parts is about the "stewmac kit winders" - those stewmac slugs must really suck, hard.
              I find nothing wrong with the stewmac kits. But what do I know. I'm just an amateur winder from a third world country.

Comment

I recently purchased some Allparts slugs and wasn't really impressed. They're completely smooth on top with no bulls eye. ..which I don't have a problem with...they have nice plating. But they did sound kinda dull with an high output A5 wind that I did. ....maybe need to try ceramic with them.

Parts are constantly a challenge. And then they change up on you and screw up your formulas.

One of my screw vendors recently switched manufacturers for fillisters. Metal is the same but the shape of the head is different.

belwar hit it on the head....gotta find the right combination of parts from the variety of vendors that we use to come up with your particular mojo.
                www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

There'in lies the rub.

Unlike other forums which do well at compiling parameters and such, here each winder kind of covets what they have learned, only eeking out a hint of relative fact now-n-then, implying a secret but yet not really sharing hard data.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not acusing anyone or anything like that, and in fact most winders have tried experimenting a lot and are worthy of the results they hold.

IMHO this particular field will never be quite like others who share info more openly.

(not that it's a bad thing)
                  -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

RedHouse, what you say is true. But then again, a lot of other fields that share their info don't make a living at it. Even if you just do it for fun or "new toy" money, there's the whole ego to contend with. My pickup can beat up your pickup
                    www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                      IMHO this particular field will never be quite like others who share info more openly.
                      I know that there is a difference between this forum and most other. On other there is a problem that too many share too many opinions. Opinions that they have no real knowledge or real hard facts to back. They just happened to read it somewhere on the net...
                      Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                      in fact most winders have tried experimenting a lot and are worthy of the results they hold.
                      And as I am not a pro winder, just a semi pro luthier, trying to build my winding skills I might just have to do exactly what you suggest, get samples of all available parts from all available suppliers and just listen, listen listen. I just wanted to cut some corners if someone was willing to share some info...

So what parts from what sources comes from what manufacturer? A reference list of that type wouldn't mean we had to share hard earned knowledge, would it?

I'll start: The Allparts and SM slugs are most likely the same as I recently got some SM slugs and they fit Kevin's description spot on. If they also carries the same bobbins it makes it even more likely.

We have already established that Allparts and Stumac bobbins are the same. Mojo and SK sells the bobbins with the little "off-cut". But
                      Who's next?

Cheers guys.

Comment

The bobbins with the little flat area are WSC parts.
                        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Naglitsch View Post
                          I know that there is a difference between this forum and most other. On other there is a problem that too many share too many opinions. Opinions that they have no real knowledge or real hard facts to back. They just happened to read it somewhere on the net...

And as I am not a pro winder, just a semi pro luthier, trying to build my winding skills I might just have to do exactly what you suggest, get samples of all available parts from all available suppliers and just listen, listen listen. I just wanted to cut some corners if someone was willing to share some info...

So what parts from what sources comes from what manufacturer? A reference list of that type wouldn't mean we had to share hard earned knowledge, would it?

I'll start: The Allparts and SM slugs are most likely the same as I recently got some SM slugs and they fit Kevin's description spot on. If they also carries the same bobbins it makes it even more likely.

We have already established that Allparts and Stumac bobbins are the same. Mojo and SK sells the bobbins with the little "off-cut". But
                          Who's next?

Cheers guys.
                          I have got some Allparts slugs and they come without the bullseye but the Stewmacs I have come with bulsseye.
                          So did Stewmac chance their vendor?
                          cheers
                          db

Comment

Uh oh....are they the same metal? Do they sound the same?
                            http://www.SDpickups.com
                            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Electricdaveyboy View Post
                              I have got some Allparts slugs and they come without the bullseye but the Stewmacs I have come with bulsseye.
                              So did Stewmac chance their vendor?
                              cheers
                              db
                              Well, my SM slugs that I got less than two weeks ago don't have the "bulls eye" pattern. They are very flat and the description of the Allparts slugs, combined with the info that SM and Allparts carries the same bobbins made me think that maybe the slugs were the same also.

I still have to listen to them. I'm right now looking around to gather as much different parts as possible to do a private little "shoot out" between parts from different suppliers.

Comment

Working...
                              X