elk amp 50 with matching 2x12 cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by custom_amp_30 View Post
    I remembered that you said that you wanted internal pictures so here are two site. The Schematic from Dr. Tube and a guy who rebuilt this amp without this schematic. Cheers

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/elk/es-30.gif
    OffsetGuitars.com • View topic - A Japanese "Blackface" ELK Stage Man
    oops sorry missed this. Thanks!

Comment

Not as many around here in the USA but a few in Europe and Canada. The market was booming and sales where seen at least one or two every month, now it has dried up so you may be in Luck. Good hunting and please post some pictures of your Viking 50. Welcome to the site.

Comment

Here is an article that came up on a search.

SurfGuitar101

Comment

The Mad Mans work shop. This is my attempt to build that Old Elk Circuit and then to attempt to modify it.

Comment

Here is my Custom Amp 30 that I purchased from NYC a few years back. The photo was from the G-Base ad file to give credit for a good photo. The Lens cover was missing when I received it, but I had a extra lens from a scrap chassis that I had laying around. The Circuit is from Dr. Tubes website. Any feedback?

Comment

I'd love to hear what "Revberb" sounds like.

Comment

RevBerb: No R in the japanese launguage.

So the phase would be "LevBelb"...

Prior to Joe Fire (American Engineer) working at the factory in which one of his duties was to correct the written English in the diagrams. So I believe your corrected phase is: "I'd love to hear was "Levbelb" sound like."... Gee lets do better than this guys!!

Comment

please help -newbie with Elk question(s)

Hi all, I have a elk custom 30 with 2x10 cab that I have been slowly restoring. I know these came with two 4Ω 10" speakers. So my question is where these wired parallel or series? I want to hook up 2 8ohm speakers on hand, but debating finding some 4ohm-even then not sure series or parallel. I cannot find schematic..The cab came empty when i got it and there is no marking on amp to determine what it is putting out. Does anyone have a clue?

On top of that I have a custom 100 elk-but can't find anything on it and need a schematic, has anyone heard of this one? It's been modded so definitely a project. Thanks!

Comment

Well, I know that you have to take time and read this entire post to get all of the known information and links for all current published sites across several forum sources. I'm a former New Yorker myself, so I won't look down on you being from Downstate near the big city.

First please post a few pictures or Gut shots. Next answer the PM. Then You will have most of what you need to know about these amps.

And Please, look at the post above for the answer to your question since a ES30 circuit is identical in all the Custom Amp Series but not the twin amp series.

In case you missed the major articles make sure you click on the "Below Depth" link above.

Comment

This is my 1st post in this forum.. a noob here

i got a custom 45 head.. comes only with one tube, dunno what series (spoilt i guess)
                      tried to switched it on, the tube + pilot lights..
                      I hope sifus here can guide me to do some test (to make sure it able to be repair) and guide how to fix it..

i'm totally ZERO in electronics..

Click to Zoom

Click to Zoom

Click to Zoom

Comment

Well, your answers are within this post itself, all your leads and schematics are linked so if I where you, first, I would read this post, despite the few here that wish this subject would stay buried. If you look carefully, there is another site referenced that rebuilds the entire amp.

Which tube remains within that amp?

ELK Custom Amp 45
                        tubes: (Not in correct order)(See Dr. Tube site for your answer)
                        12AX7: Each 4
                        6AQ8: Each 1
                        6CA7: Each 2
                        5AR4: Each 1

Comment

That head requires it to be plugged into a Ohms load or damage will be done internally. Melted wires Etc. So be careful.

Comment

Elk Custom Amp 60

Great thread Guys. I have been surfing for a couple of years and thought I had an orphan amp. Lots ot great info to be had here.

Here are some photos of my Elk Custom Amp 60. I bought it in 1966 or 1967 (can't remember exactly) and have had it ever since. While as school I was so broke I pawned it for a few weeks. It worked for years but I quit playing for a while and it sat in the basement for many years. I started playing again a few years ago and decided to get the old girl going. Until 2009 the head had never been opened. I had always planned to trace the wiring myself but may have missed the opportunity when I took it to a service man who retubed and replaced some of the caps and other parts (I still have the original parts). It worked for a few weeks but the got noisy. I needed a reliable amp so I opicked up a Mesa Boogie Express. I miss the tube tremolo so I plan to take get an oscilloscope, take it apart myself and find out what is wrong. I loved hearing the sound I heard so long ago at high school. And the smell of the amp (it ran super hot and smelled like an old radio) brought back memories of rehersals and gigs. The speakers still sound great (I drive them from the Mesa Boogie) and the closed back cabinet has never been opened.

Would anyone have a schematic for this amp? I found a schematic for the the 50W version on the web and assume it may be close. The Fender Bassman might be a good start but it lacks reverb and tremolo.

I will post internal photos when I get the head apart.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Old_Elk60; 04-08-2011, 04:48 PM.
                            1967 Elk Custom Amp 60, 1973 Les Paul Standard, Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 112, Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport

Comment

Well, its been a while,

Guitar Tube Amp Schematics

Read this and find Joe Fire and he can help you with this amp. Thanks If you need to, send me a pm.

Comment

custom_amp_30: I finally got back to this thread. Thanks for the tip. "Guitar Tube Amp Schematics" is great reading. I will try to contact Joe Fire.
                                1967 Elk Custom Amp 60, 1973 Les Paul Standard, Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 112, Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport

Comment

Working...
                                X