No announcement yet.

elk amp 50 with matching 2x12 cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I own Six Elk amps as of now and have recently purchased each materials to build about nine amps chassises complete and currently in the middle of two builds. Kind of a full house as we speak. Plus the project on the Back-burner. The project. I will be in touch when I get back to Texas at the end of the month.

Old work shop in former living room.

These are old pictures of the Back-burner projects.

Last edited by custom_amp_30; 11-03-2013, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by custom_amp_30 View Post
      Are the two metal mounting brackets still screwed on the top of this cabinet on either side of the center handle?

This is what I was talking about, are these two brackets on top of the Cabinet?

Comment

I'm having trouble accessing the second page of this thread, but I have one of these awaiting me getting into it:

If there is anything specific you want photoed let me know, maybe by message because of not being able to see page 2 of the thread (If I choose skip to page and enter 2, it just reloads the page and takes me to bottom of page 1)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. foxen View Post
          I'm having trouble accessing the second page of this thread, but I have one of these awaiting me getting into it:

If there is anything specific you want photoed let me know, maybe by message because of not being able to see page 2 of the thread (If I choose skip to page and enter 2, it just reloads the page and takes me to bottom of page 1)
          I think you should start a new thread if you're doing a repair since this one is so long. Gut shots are always great to have, and welcome to this continuing long post about the amps that time has forgotten. Wow, your amp is newer than ours expecailly since yours has a serial number, the older one do not have a serial number on the back, and those are not EL84/6BQ5 in that Elk either. EL34's I'm guessing.

Comment

Going to post high res gutshots on my blog when I get in it: ampstack | Just another WordPress.com site always have people ask for close ups of particular parts after I've put it back together so figure asking in advance. If I get stuck in this, I'll start a thread (not unlikely, pretty new to amp teching in the scheme of things and mostly worked on sound city amps).

Comment

Originally posted by big bird View Post
              Sounds good. I'm not sure how much I'd sell it, but like I said I don't really have much use for it at the moment, so feel free to shoot me an offer you think is fair. I'm in san antonio by the way.

Did you see the CustomAmp 45 from england for sale on Ebay as on 12/08/2013

Comment

Ahhh Custom amp, sorry to disappear. Got caught up in a lot of stuff and I ended up forgetting about this thread. This cab doesn't have those brackets. Looks like someone took them off at some point, because I do see the screw holes where the brackets would have been. I actually did not see that amp on ebay. Did you happen to see how much the amp went for?

By the way Custom, if you are ever down in Texas again, let me know. You're welcome to take this cab off my hands, no charge. I doubt I will be using it anytime soon honestly.

Comment

I will take you up on that next time I'm in your area. Thanks. The guy who was selling that amp head was in England and that amp did not sell due to the very high price that he had placed on it Plus the shipping cost. That amp was posted on this site asking repair questions before he advertised it in Englands Ebay. It was a Custom Amp 45 so it should be easy to find since it was recent. You can find me at the email address: Team_street_performance@yahoo.com. "Drew" Currently out of the country on a warrenty repair assignment. Thanks again

Comment

The amp is up for sale for a lower price on my Facebook page and directly, ebay prices are high because trading via ebay costs about 14% already, along with the difficult nature of ebay transactions (like not knowing that payment is secure for 45 days after receiving it).

Comment

Sorry about not clearifying my reply, the price was a honest price, but since these amps have so few folks interested in testing and playing this amplifier, they seem to have overlook the original quality built into these models. My reaction was that unless you know these amps and have heard them at their best, pricing then would not be a problem. Meant no disrespect! Thanks

Comment

Its a very nice amp, I try and get people to play it when they come to try out other amps I have.

Comment

I forgot of ELK since the late 60s already. I was in Hong Kong when I saw these amps. But later on, Fender and Marshall got popular and ELK just disappeared from the store. I played one of the 60W with separate cabinet. It really did not sound that good from my memory. I remember the reverb is quite funny, it's really like dropping things in the water!!! Funny thing was it broke down right in the middle of the gig, a guy had to open up the amp in the back and fixed it. During that time, the host band plugged everything into a single Vox AC30 and continue the party!!!

I had an ELK solid body guitar also. It really did not sound that good either. Those were the days Japanese goods were still on the inferior side. I remember Ibanez was the first that came out with a Les Paul copy that actually sounded good and it took over the second tier guitar market in 1970.

I remember there is another Japanese brand that was cheap and quite popular in the 60s, Guya Tone. My first amp was Guya. It was not good, later I got a Fender Vibrolux in 67 and it's a mile better.

Japanese product did not get good until the 70s and dominates the world until the Koreans are nibbling at their behind now. They had the Yamaho SG2000 that was very good......Good enough for Carlos Santana gave up the Les paul in favor of that. Now, the Ibanez is every bit as good as the biggest names in guitar. Just the ones I had my hands on, the necks are just way too small and thin. I like chunky necks like in the Gibson.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan0354 View Post
                            I forgot of ELK since the late 60s already. I was in Hong Kong when I saw these amps. But later on, Fender and Marshall got popular and ELK just disappeared from the store. I played one of the 60W with separate cabinet. It really did not sound that good from my memory. I remember the reverb is quite funny, it's really like dropping things in the water!!! Funny thing was it broke down right in the middle of the gig, a guy had to open up the amp in the back and fixed it. During that time, the host band plugged everything into a single Vox AC30 and continue the party!!!

I had an ELK solid body guitar also. It really did not sound that good either. Those were the days Japanese goods were still on the inferior side. I remember Ibanez was the first that came out with a Les Paul copy that actually sounded good and it took over the second tier guitar market in 1970.

I remember there is another Japanese brand that was cheap and quite popular in the 60s, Guya Tone. My first amp was Guya. It was not good, later I got a Fender Vibrolux in 67 and it's a mile better.

Japanese product did not get good until the 70s and dominates the world until the Koreans are nibbling at their behind now. They had the Yamaho SG2000 that was very good......Good enough for Carlos Santana gave up the Les paul in favor of that. Now, the Ibanez is every bit as good as the biggest names in guitar. Just the ones I had my hands on, the necks are just way too small and thin. I like chunky necks like in the Gibson.
                            Elk later became Fender japan, and your choice in necks are your personal taste,and unless you can play better than Carlos.... Somehow everones opinions seem to land in my email. Thanks for sharing your memories, Write Elk and give them your opinion... And then research the Elk, Ibanez guitar connection... Guyatone effects also with the Elk connection.

Comment

Here is the cab I made for mine out of finger joined pine.
                              It just had some new Weber 10A125 Alnicos put init last week and they sound tops!

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X