Project worthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project worthy?

My father in law gave me a bookshelf stereo that someone was getting rid of. Only some of the speakers were good, and the system itself isn't in good condition. But some of the speakers are good, and I was wondering: What should I do with them? Is there any project that you can think of (small tube amp or something) that the speakers would be worth keeping for? Or, put another way, what should I make out of them? Ideas?

Make a table radio or an intercom.

Stereo speakers are not like instrument speakers. Instrument speakers are generally a LOT more efficient. Dropping efficiency just 6db is the same thing as dropping the power by 3/4.

Guitar speakers are not flat, nor are they wide range. Stereo speakers are made to cover a wide range of sounds since they have to reproduce whatever comes out of the stereo. Guitar speakers are not reproducing sound they are producing sound. They typically roll off in the 3000 to 5000 Hz area.

Having said that, nothing prevents you from trying them as guitar speakers. Go ahead and try them. if you like the sound, then they are OK.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

build a portable mini-amp!

I've done this a couple times- put a battery compartment in the back, install a jack somewhere, and put a basic LM-386 chip amp inside. The 386 is pretty forgiving about supply voltage, output impedance, and input strength.
      Buy a decorative drawer handle at the hardware store to top it off. The 386 data sheet gives a good idea of a basic circuit, or you could copy the Smokey amp design.

Comment

Working...
      X