Lollar Guitar Pickup winding book FAKES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lollar Guitar Pickup winding book FAKES

Just one more post about this- the book that sold for $500 + also one for $300 and a few at $270 are probably all fake copies.
    People send me stuff all the time- links, CD's with my book on it- photo copies. no one gets away with it for long before someone alerts me or has me varify what they bought is real or not.
    One of the copies being sold on amazon.com for $275 was mailed to me to look at. This is the same seller that has been selling them on ebay. The book sent to me was a photo copy- on casual inspection it looks right- binding is correct, it has glossy white paper on the cover but the the photos in the text are obviously photo copies, the paper weight is too light, the cover was not printed like the original - its photo copied too- but it is also the wrong weight paper. The only thing they got right was the binding.
    Stop buying these! I have someone on the guys butt now that I can prove he photo copies them. Like i said before- later this summer i will release it again- I have too much on my plate right now but once that happens it will eventually stop this crap.
    I am just posting it here so if someone searches on Pickup winding book- this will pop up in google and hopefully stop more sales.
    Enough said. Please dont contact me about it- when its availible it will be on my website and no doubt youll see it other places too- there are already a few sites saying it will be released again.

Fake Jason Lollar Pickup Books

Jason, would it be OK if I re posted this on some other guitar news sites or blogs? I will make sure people know not to ask you about it and will not provide contact information.

I figure the more google hits your plan gets the better the chances of the crooks being foiled.
    Ever Learning
    Clint Searcy
    www.searcystringworks.com

Comment

sure clint- thats great, thank you.

Comment

Alright. I wrote a little thing about it and posted on GuitarNewsDaily.Com, my blog and a few other forums I work with.

Spreading the word
        Ever Learning
        Clint Searcy

Comment

Used books ?

Funny
          I got mine years ago directly from Jason.
          I read it on the toilet and it was my bathrom lecture for some time.
          The book helps a lot wehn starting and still helps working with pickups but wehn I think someone is paying 500 $ for it makes me smile.
          But now that everybody knows about my book and were it had been I am shure it is not worth that much.......ooh smelly stuff.

I had a pic of one of my pickups on ebay and my fault was that the Lollar book was to see in the pic too.
          I got lots of emails from people who made offers for the book or for copies.

People go crazy by seeing something they can not have and that is the criminal minds inspiration.

Would be great from Jason to bring back his book and make easier for newbees to get along with pickup makin.

Comment

Lollar Guitar Pickup winding book FAKES

What a load of cr*p. I have a copy of " For the Guitar Enthusiast, Basic Pickup Winding & Complete Guide to Making Your Own Pickup Winder " that I bought directly from Jason Lollar in 1999, and as near as I can tell the " original " book is a photocopy. While it's a great book full of useful information, it was obviously cranked out in some college-town photocopy store.

I think Lollar just regrets publishing his pickup winder design in the first place. He should be honored that it's selling for five hundred bucks, but instead he goes off on a rant about counterfeits. He's too busy to print another thousand copies and offer them for sale on his web site, but not too busy to write threatening letters to anyone who tries to sell one of the originals. IMHO, he just doesn't want anyone to read it.

Comment

Lots of people have sold their original copies without getting threatening letters from Jason. Jason has known for years that the old books were selling for big bucks and never said anything indication that he was upset by the books sharp boost in monetary value as far as I know. I sold mine a few years ago for about $120 and there was no threat from Jason about it.

Jason's anger has been over fake copies of his book being sold for big money. He says he has seen these fakes first hand. In 10 years of association with Jason I have never known him to be dishonest about anything. If someone is making $500 a crack selling fake copies of Jason's work than that's Jason's business.

One of the problems with Jason's self published book is that it's vary easy to make fakes and he never even put out the book in a CD or digital format before so we know all those are fake.

I'm glad to see the new Data CD version of the book coming out. Might be a good idea to offer it as a simple digital down load too. Get with the times!
              Ever Learning
              Clint Searcy

Comment

It's hard to blame him for not wanting to re-print it. I would imagine that with every copy he sold, he would get phone calls from potential future competitors wanting help setting up thier homebrew winder.

Comment

So republishing the book would be a bad idea then if I dont want anyone reading it?

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
                    It's hard to blame him for not wanting to re-print it. I would imagine that with every copy he sold, he would get phone calls from potential future competitors wanting help setting up thier homebrew winder.
                    I think the issue is it's very expensive to have something printed. I know because I was in that industry for the last 29 years.

My wife is getting ready to do a book, and she's looking for a print on demand solution.

I think the way Jason is doing it now is the way to go. Even as a secure download instead of a CD. It can't stop people from making copies, but it will stop it from being rare, and people forging copies.

I'll buy one when he's ready with it.

Who calls up authors to ask them questions anyway?
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

So just a basic un-educated question here:

Does this book contain any knowledge that isn't already available out there in random youtube videos and stew-mac tips-of-the-month?

No offense to Jason or the book - I'm just curious, as I've plopped down cash on a few of these types of books already (most notably Tim Swike's electronics books), and while the photos are decent reference points, I'm not sure it was worth the $15-20 a pop for some diagrams that are already common knowledge at your local message board.

What's the real value of the book? (in 50 words or less

Comment

So maybe LP Junkie is the guy you are looking for Jason since it seems this has stirred a lot of anger in him, Hmmmmmm.

Comment

Does this book contain any knowledge that isn't already available out there in random youtube videos and stew-mac tips-of-the-month?

Well there are things in there you probably wont find anywhere but there is nothing magical about it. At the time it was written- there was nothing- NADA- like it but 10 or 12 years later, its a different world.
                          The whole idea was to give someone enough info- making a machine, building bobbins, using various traversers, adjusting an autotraverser, manipulating the wire- that you could confidantly wind a pickup but there are no formulas. i specifically left out the stuff where once you had enough info to make a pickup the idea is that you put some time in and learn whats important to you on your own. It would certainly save a begginer alot of time and trials.
                          The book is what the title says "BASIC PICKUP WINDING and complete guide to making your own pickup winder"

I sold a few thousand copies and helped hundreds of people personally on the phone or via email and forums. Really you only a handful of people that are pissed at me for one reason or another, you cant please everyone!. At the time it was originally written you couldnt order pickup parts anywhere. There was no supplier for bar magnets- it was very difficult to get anything, nothing was typically stocked , it was all custom made or you made it yourself.

sorry thats all the itme I have - no more for posting about this

Comment

A lot of these new guys who want to wind pickups don't really have a clue how important Jason, Wolfe, this forum and it's predecessors, and Jason's book have been to creating the boutique pickup industry that we have today as far as parts and information to roll your own. Granted there were DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, and others around for decades making boutique pickups successfully, but as far as information about how to do it yourself, and having ready-made parts available.....well we can think Jason and Wolfe quite a bit for that. To have people trying to ride on his coattails and illegally sell copies of his book has to really annoy Jason after all the efforts he has put in over the years to share with others. I am really glad Jason has decided to try to stop the illegal activites and hope those who have been benefitting from breaking the law at Jason's expense will find something more productive to do......

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by LPJunkie View Post
                              What a load of cr*p. I have a copy of " For the Guitar Enthusiast, Basic Pickup Winding & Complete Guide to Making Your Own Pickup Winder " that I bought directly from Jason Lollar in 1999, and as near as I can tell the " original " book is a photocopy. While it's a great book full of useful information, it was obviously cranked out in some college-town photocopy store.
                              And that's how many self published books are made.

I think Lollar just regrets publishing his pickup winder design in the first place. He should be honored that it's selling for five hundred bucks, but instead he goes off on a rant about counterfeits. He's too busy to print another thousand copies and offer them for sale on his web site, but not too busy to write threatening letters to anyone who tries to sell one of the originals. IMHO, he just doesn't want anyone to read it.
                              If one of his REAL books sells for $500, that's fine. But it's illegal to make copies of the book to sell. That's what copyright laws are for.

So Jason is upset that someone is counterfeiting the books, and he should be. He could also take legal actions against the person if he wanted to.

He's not threatening people who want to sell the original, just copies of the original. Is that hard to understand?

It's the same as people who make copies of DVDs or CDs and sell them on street corners. It's breaking the law.

And why should you even care?
                              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                              X