Transformers For 5e3 Head Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformers For 5e3 Head Advice?

Hello all! First post and hopefully not a dupe thread. Also my apologies if this is a dumb question!

My name is Mark and I'm building my first tube amp, a 5E3 head. I am looking for advice on the power and output transformers. Are there any special mounting/purchasing considerations since a head chassis is involved? I bought the head chassis from Ceriatone if that helps... Basically, TELL ME WHAT TO BUY!

I have been working with electronics for quite some time and know enough to not get myself killed, but I have never built an amp. I'm sure I'll be pestering you all with silly questions again so I thank you in advance!

Best,
    Mark

Welcome!

Well I don't have experience with the Ceriatone chassis, but if it uses a drop in style PT, then check the dimensions to see if it's the same as a stock 5E3. If it is then Hammond, Heyboer, and Mercury seem to be the preferred makes by most people. These same companies make high quality output transformers too. They are available from several sources, including some builders on this forum. Do a search for them. Good luck with your build; the 5E3 is alot of fun to play. I just finished one a few weeks ago. Rob

Comment

Welcome to the forum Mark. You should have no problem completing a great sounding amp. Just a cursory glance at the Ceriatone photos looks like the chassis will take a standard 5E3 PT and OT. If you have the chassis already you can be certain by measuring the cutout and the eye to eye hole dimensions. The 5E3 is one of the amps I haven't made yet, but I would get my 5E3 trannys from Mission Amps without hesitation.
      "The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."
      - Jimi Hendrix

http://www.detempleguitars.com

Comment

I used these for a 5E3 head, and they worked beautifully:

Tweed Deluxe Power Transformer
        Deluxe Output Transformer TF110-48/UL 6600CT 4/8 ohm
        In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all your helpful replies! I ended up going with the ones from Triode Electronics since they're like 40 miles from where I work. Looks like I'll be able to wire this thing up next week...

Comment

So Mark, how is your build coming along? I just finished mine last week using the same chassis & transformers. Here's some pics:

It sounds great!

Comment

Working...
            X