Comments on preamp/reverb circuit wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on preamp/reverb circuit wanted

I've been out of tube amp building for quite a while; after some fiddling around I tried a standard blackface channel; when I got that working I added reverb, loosely based on the fender stand-alone unit. I've attached the schematic here.
    It's working apart from too much hum and an oscillation when the preamp volume is turned up or the reverb "mix" is all the way up "wet". I guess this has to do with my somewhat crummy lay-out which you can see in the photograph. Also the ground connection isn't really what it should be yet.

The power amp (which isn't in the schematic) is a standard PP design, except that I have a pair of 6L6s and a pair of EL34s. Both pairs have their own bias potmeter and are biased around 30mA.

Generally, I'd just like you guys to have a look at this thing and give me some advice or opinions. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Those pictures are bigger than my monitor. I am curious about the cathode follower for the clean signal, is the clean as loud as the wet? Hum from reverb can be tricky, I like to move the pan around to find the quiet spot in the cab, but there's no cab. Now that you know the circuit works, I would design a layout and build it on a turret board, or fishpaper with eyelets, or even point to point in a chassis. That reminds me of a plate of spaghetti. You could move wires to try to stop oscillations.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Meanwhile I have built it on a turret board. The clean signal is indeed as loud as the wet. Most of the noise and oscillation is gone now because I've cut all the excess wires as short as possible.
      I'm waiting with my chassis because I'm not sure about the rest of the circuitry yet. I have a plate of steel here but I don't want to mess it up, so I'm considering using a wood board and paste some aluminum foil to it, see if that gets rid of the rest of the hum.
      I'll keep you posted!

Comment

Working...
      X