DR504 what's up w/ V3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR504 what's up w/ V3?

What yall think V3 does in this preamp? Only "guess" I can make is that it modulates V1's power supply with the signal on the PI grid.
    Attached Files

It is a cathode follower with its grid tied to B+. If I had to offer a guess, it looks to me like they used it to establish a bias supply for the grids of the PI tube. I'd have to think about why they would bother with that added complexity.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

FWIW the amp seemed to soften in attack a bit and sound warmer when I modded a different hiwatt to have the V3 circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        It is a cathode follower with its grid tied to B+. If I had to offer a guess, it looks to me like they used it to establish a bias supply for the grids of the PI tube. I'd have to think about why they would bother with that added complexity.
        I agree...the 1meg to B+ and the 220K form a voltage divider to hold the output of the cathode follower at a fixed fraction of B+ I'm not 100% sure why they couldn't just bias the PI directly from a pair of resistors.

If I had to guess, the fixed biasing of the PI would increase the headroom of the PI, or at a minimum change its clipping behavior.

Nathan

Comment

Working...
        X