Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am new to tubes and have been looking for help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new to tubes and have been looking for help!

i was wondering which tubes i should get (for my peavey valveking 112) and where to put them. (which positions [preamp 1, 2, 3])

i would like a similar sound as Dimebag's, but also versatile so that it becomes a low crunchy distortion sort of like Kataklysm's (i know they play drop b, but i like the way the distortion itself sounds )

thanks

(from prior post in ultimate-guitar forum)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

please i need preamp tube recommendations

thanks

Just hunt around for some NOS 12AX7s/ECC83s - anything from the '50s or '60s is probably likely to be an improvement on the stock tubes they ship with.
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

It is difficult to get a desired copy of a tone unless you know ALL the specs.

Minor manufacturing tolerances alone keep tube amps sounding different. even with newly manufactured amps right out of the box, there will be tone differences albiet not as drastic with todays higher tolerance parts, but it will be there.

then there is the whole speaker/ guitar part of equation.

+1 on Tubeswells suggestion of NOS tubes. they are out there and can be less expensive than moder reissues.

the beauty is you don't have to replace them all at once.

I think it was our Steve Conner who mentioned something about "delving into a tube amp looking for tone, when all the time they should have been practicing more"

I've recently ran into that situation with my latest princeton build.

one of my son's friends played on it a bit while I experimented with the NFB section, while I got the results I wanted from the NFB experiment, I wasn't happy at all with the over all "TONE". That is untill the next person played it and his different playing technique completly changes my perception of that amps over all tone.

I am in no way implying that your skills as a guitarist is lacking. I am suggestiong that to copy a specific sound you also have to copy playing technique. like the amplifier, the closer you copy the technique the closer it will sound to what you're trying to achieve.

Just my .02 take what you want from it and ignore the rest.

Ray

Comment

ok, i will experiment with different tubes.

thanks for you help guys

Comment

Working...
        X