help figuring out bias supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help figuring out bias supply

Hey guys I need help with my bias supply (and probably a bunch of other stuff too). I'm building an Ampeg Mercury (6L6 version) but I used the Gemini II bias supply off the HV. Now I get -94v where the two 270k resistor sum up. How do I get that into the -50v range? The other thing is that when I took out my bias supply and clipped in a 200 Ohm 15w resistor that resistor got HOT and started smoking but my 6L6 plates weren't red plating or anything. Thanks a bunch.
    Jason

Originally posted by Jason C View Post
    I'm building an Ampeg Mercury (6L6 version) but I used the Gemini II bias supply off the HV. Now I get -94v where the two 270k resistor sum up. How do I get that into the -50v range?
    Try a lower value resistor instead of the 68k (after the diode). Or a smaller cap instead of the .047 off the PT. I'm looking at the Piazza schematics, there may be variations on the values.

The other thing is that when I took out my bias supply and clipped in a 200 Ohm 15w resistor that resistor got HOT and started smoking but my 6L6 plates weren't red plating or anything.
    6L6s can take a lot of current before they actually start to redplate. How high is your B+? A shared 250 Ohm resistor is for B+ around 360V, so a 200 Ohm is too low anyway - with a higher B+ the more so. How high is the voltage at the cathodes with the 200 Ohm resistor? Should be around 20V (50mA per tube). I guess it's quite a bit more.

Cheers,
    Albert

Comment

My B+ is 375 and the cathode voltage is 27. That's with the 200 Ohm resistor in place.
      Jason

Comment

Hmm - that's hot, but not too hot for class A. B+ is in the ballpark. Each tube dissipating about 23.6W at idle. Resistor dissipating 3.6W. A 15W resistor should not smoke. Get warm, yes. Smoke, no. You'd need 55V across the resistor to burn 15W. Even more to get it smoking.

How does the amp sound?

Comment

The amp will sound pretty good from what I can tell, there is some motor boating that I'll handle after there's no more smoke. How much lower should I go on either the cap or resistor for the bias supply? I have some .01's and .022's. Also I'm getting pretty different voltages on my PI. On pin 2 of the 6SL7 I get 36 and pin 5 I get 74. Would that cause my motor boat problem? Oh yeah, this last time I clipped in my resistor it didn't smoke but it did get pretty hot. So that's progress right? Thanks.
          Jason

Comment

How much lower should I go on either the cap or resistor for the bias supply? I have some .01's and .022's.
            First try a .022, then measure your bias voltage. If it's still too high, you can either go to .01 or lower the 68k resistor to 56k or 47k. You can also use a 33k with a 25k trim pot in series.

Also I'm getting pretty different voltages on my PI. On pin 2 of the 6SL7 I get 36 and pin 5 I get 74. Would that cause my motor boat problem?
            Not sure how the voltages should be, but 36V definitely is too low. Try grounding pins 1 and 4. Disconnect the 100µ/6V cap. No luck? Disconnect the NFB wire. Check the 120k plate resistors. Have you tried a different tube?

Motorboating usually is caused by bad filtering and/or bad lead dress/grounding.

Oh yeah, this last time I clipped in my resistor it didn't smoke but it did get pretty hot. So that's progress right?
            Yeah, the smoke should stay inside

Cheers,
            Albert

Comment

Well the good news is the PI plate voltage is now 277 on both pins 2 and 5. The bad news is now I have no sound. I grounded pins 1 and 4, removed the 100uf cap and the NFB. The first thing I did was swap out the tube with a known good 6SL7GT and after that I got no sound from either tube so I'm not sure what I did this time. I'll have to go back and check all my connections to see what in the world I did. I guess I shouldn't have let all the smoke out the first time.
              Jason

Comment

Yes, check all the connections. Especially everything from the 6SL7 cathodes to ground (the 1k and 240R resistors, the 100µ cap).

"If you connect it right, it works."

Comment

Working...
                X