X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eylets turrets and setting tools

hi,
    greetings from the swine flu epicenter. ;O choo---

i have been building very simple amps using up a small cache of old parts and am in need of a supplier of eylets, turrets and the related setting tools. i make my boards from triaxial glass cloth and epoxy. drill all by hand, one at a time. bend and punch my chassis with all simple hand tools. any help on sources of parts would be greatly appreciated. i am starting to get orders to warrant kicking up production a couple of notches from the one on the bench method i currently use.

all the best and thanks. this is a great group.

Keystone Electronics makes turrets, eyelets, and associated tools. Mouser is one source of these parts, but other online electronics places will probably have them: Keystone Electronics Distributor
    -Mike

Comment

thank you, i deal with mouser and somehow missed finding the parts there. i'll try again and check out the link you included. i appreciate the help.

Comment

Hoffman Amplifiers, Tube amplifier parts, tube amps, tubes

Welcome to TubeDepot.com!

http://turretboards.com/

You could check these out also.

Comment

Finding the Keystone parts with Mouser's search is almost impossible. I find it easier to start with the Keystone catalog, then once I find the part I need, I enter the part number into Mouser's search.
          -Mike

Comment

i thought it was just me with the mouser catalog. i use them allot but they have a way of "hiding" their inventory from me. they DO have some pretty odd items i have had trouble finding elsewhere (like some mini joysticks i hope to use to control midi parameters). it is just a bit difficult sifting out what i want if it is less than a common stock item.. they seem to have good delivery and have always sent all of what they were supposed to.

Originally posted by defaced View Post
            Finding the Keystone parts with Mouser's search is almost impossible. I find it easier to start with the Keystone catalog, then once I find the part I need, I enter the part number into Mouser's search.

Comment

These are the two I know of

534-1509-4 Keystone brass terminal
              534-46 Keystone eyelet, 1/8 X.187

turretboards.com has several useful tools

For production, you can make a steel template with holes drilled in the correct spots.
              A small drill press helps with getting the turrets in.
              See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
              http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

turretboards.com has several useful tools
                All of those you can also get through Mouser, but again it's easier to start with the Keystone catalog and then go to Mouser. Or just make your own, which is what I've done to do close turret spacing stuff.

Here's a related question, where can you get a sheet of 1/8" turret board material? I'm not interested in going through a small re-seller like turretboards.com, but more a place like McMaster, or Mouser.
                -Mike

Comment

These are the part numbers I have. I got the red GP03, but thought the black might look more like the old fish paper. The electrical characteristics may have been the deciding factor.

McMaster-Carr

Black G10 Garolite / FR4 Epoxy Glass
                  Garolite (G-10 Epoxy Grade) Sheet 1/8" Thick
                  85345K723 6”x6”x1/8 $5.16
                  85345K612 12”x12”x1/8 $15.88

Red GP03 Fiberglass
                  8549K44 12"x12"x1/8" $8.06
                  3345K11 36"x3x1/8 $5.52
                  3345K21 6’x3”x1/8 $9.63

Electrical Grade Fiberglass (GP03) RED. This has a great retro look, excellent strength and temperature characteristics as well as being easier to machine in production.

Comment

Does anyone have a source for inexpensive chassis material?

Old posts mentioned using 'cased open' for fire doors, which is a C channel with returns that comes in 4.75, 5.75, 6.75, 7.75 and 8.75 inches wide and typically 10 or 12' lengths.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried it, or if there's something similar.

Comment

Keystone is spendy, some deals on Ebay, these are 5c each:
                      LOT OF 500, KEYSTONE 1514-3 TURRET TERMINALS, LOT #32 - eBay (item 370174767546 end time May-16-09 09:40:48 PDT)

Comment

Thanks for those numbers PRNDL. I'm going to order some of the black stuff when I place a screw order from McMaster either today or tomorrow.

I've heard of people using steel framing, like you'd use for a house, for chassis. I've often thought, for development, that a turkey pan would be great. Now that I sit and think about it, machine screws/rivets, extruded aluminum angle, and some aluminum sheet would be a cost effective chassis. I'll check out some numbers on that when I get home.

I will agree, Keystone turrets are not cheap. My jaw about dropped when I saw the price, but for this build, I decided to bite the bullet.
                        -Mike

Comment

thanks for the tip. even though they don't have a hole through them they will work for some of my projects so i bought them.

Originally posted by tedmich View Post

Comment

there are a few places on the web with grp sheets. this is mil spec electronics grade in several sizes and thicknesses and the price works out pretty good compared to the precut to size guys.

Fiberglass Sheets and Plates by K-mac Plastics

i have so much glass and epoxy left from my boat building days that i could pave my driveway in circuit board thickness grp layup..

50 oz triaxial cloth that i use for strong thin cb's also works well under fretboards and around the truss rod and makes a guitar neck forget about twisting or warping. i think it actually improves the sound too if you squeeze out the epoxy to get the glass to resin ratio high as possible. if anyone is interested p.m me and i'll explain the proceedure since it isn't really electronics.)

Originally posted by defaced View Post
                            Here's a related question, where can you get a sheet of 1/8" turret board material? I'm not interested in going through a small re-seller like turretboards.com, but more a place like McMaster, or Mouser.
                            Last edited by tboy; 05-08-2009, 07:38 PM.

Comment

thank you for this link PRNDL!! never knew about them. you won't believe how much shopping time you just saved me. do you have any other super one stop sources like this? this makes ww grainger look like a circle k. since i buy allot of what i use here, on line, and bring it south myself, i already have an order going with mcmaster-carr.

McMaster-Carr

Comment

Working...
                              X