Tone Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Controls

First post for a while. Was hoping to show pics of finished 5W amp but the site I was buying it from has announced he is closed for another month. (Thats over two months now) Not sure I can wait intil June. Managed to find another kit supplier in the UK who does a similar 5W kit. It has volume, master volume but only one tone control as opposed to the other which has bass, treble, mid, master and gain. Is a single tone control more sensitive that multiples and is it as tweakable? Advice appreciated. Thanks.

Some say in a Fender 5e3 or 6G3 Deluxe the tone control pot is more sophisticated than the whole tone stack in a BF Deluxe amp.
    The 5e3 or 6g3 with their single tone pot (per channel in the 6g3) are more midrangey and that results in a crunchier sound.
    The "scooped" mid sound of a BF Deluxe keeps it cleaner.
    With the dual channel 6g3 you can dial in some bass when turning up the volume pot of the unused channel. Wouldn't work with a singel channel amp, though.
    So many guitarists believe in the 5e3 with it's single tone control.
    I believe you can find "your" sound even with a single tone knob, depending what your basic idea is.
    If you don't like the midrangey sound you better go for the Kit with the TMB tone stack.
    Provided that they are wired the way a Fender BF is.
    Last edited by txstrat; 05-06-2009, 07:57 AM.

Comment

You can do a lot with a single tone pot, but if you might want a regular mid-scooped tone, then a tone stack is needed.
      Try asking this guy about a suitable kit. Ask for what you'd like and I reckon he'd do a special, if necessary.
      Guitar Amp Builder - Aston Electronics - Valve Amplifier Kits - Guitar Amp Kits Components, Valve Amp Kits, Ampkits
      Peter.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Working...
      X