Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup Maker's Showcase here on the forum...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Maker's Showcase here on the forum...

OK, I outlined this on the shootout thread, so here goes again.

We have many lurkers and visitors and hobbyists who really don't have a clue who we all are or what we do, specialties etc. As a member of a technical art jewelry forum years ago, there we had a gallery showcase of all the members who wanted to put up their work to be seen. Everyone liked it and it helped everyone know what the others were doing out there in the real world.

This would be easy enough to do. A seprerate Pickup Maker's Showcare area would be set up. You would have only 3 products you could show at any one time, and could rotate different ones in and out if you wanted. There would be NO comments or replies allowed, this is strictly to show off each member's work.

The benefits of this are that lurkers or non-pickup making visitors could check all of us out briefly in one place. Each of us could see how others are demonstrating their products to the world. Your entry can be a sound clip or a video. I'm not sure if TBoy would want to host these files here, probably not, so you would just have links or embedded YouTube videos as your entries. Anyway, thats the bare bones of it, TBoy could probably set it up and figure out the back end on it and keep it simple.

So, just want to know what everyone thinks. This is kind of an informal thing and not a shootout, and you can demo your products your own way you see fit.
    Whadda ya think?
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

I'll do what I can; no problem hosting the files here if needed (I'll be installing a bigger hard drive soon).
    -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

OK, lets see if there's enough interest. Also it seems like the forum is awfully slow responding over the net last couple of days, you got a hard drive about to crash?
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

One other question, is it possible to embed a YouTube video link in this forum? I notice on the MLP if you post a link to a YT video the video shows up and is playable within the forum which I think is pretty cool and would save alot of bandwith....
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by tboy View Post
          I'll do what I can; no problem hosting the files here if needed (I'll be installing a bigger hard drive soon).
          In a somewhat related vein, our alien overlords appear to have relegated the old "keep TBoy out of the poorhouse" link to the 404 section of Area 51. Is there an updated link for our commercial members (and us appreciative hobby guys) to throw a token amount toward upkeep?

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
            OK, lets see if there's enough interest. Also it seems like the forum is awfully slow responding over the net last couple of days, you got a hard drive about to crash?
            Yeah, it's slow here too.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Something like this?

YouTube - The Boards! SLC punk circa 1979
              -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Yeah, perfect!
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Sounds like a cool idea to me

Comment

Originally posted by Chadheckler1 View Post
                    Sounds like a cool idea to me
                    Sounds like Possum just talked his way into some free advertising
                    -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Interestingly a lot of us don't need more advertising. That said -it would be nice to get a better sense what the heck the rest of you guys actually do with yourselves when you aren't posting (as long as it doesn't involve sheep).

Comment

Its free advertising for everyone who makes pickups, What made me think back to the Orchid Gallery idea though was that shootout. They can drop by here and see a better representation of each of all our products in one place, its better than a shootout, and promotes all of us as a group of makers who hang out in one place and know each other. An easy place to compare pickup maker's work in one spot.

And as pointed out it lets all of us see what each of us is doing, so its more of a community type thing, really, than much of an advertising scheme. The Orchid gallery never really sold anyone's work that I know of. That gallery is still there:
                        Orchid Art Jewelry Galleries
                        scroll down and you'll see 2 pieces of mine that are still there 14 years later!

Another benefit of having a showcase here is its a good place for Tboy to sell paid advertising to outside companies etc.
                        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

You've got my support on this one Possum.
                          Meanwhile, I must attend to Flossy's needs......
                          sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

sure. i'd be into it. what the hell! I've never done a youtube video before so it might take some time for me to set up. Do a lot of potential buyers really requent this forum? It's mostly technical and geared toward makers, not players. I'm trying to imagine being a player and browsing the threads. How would I choose one maker over the other based on a discussion about heavy formvar?

I still think we should have a thread with everyone's website listed.

Comment

I still think we should have a thread with everyone's website listed.
                              Guitar pickup makers - Pickupedia
                              Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Working...
                              X