5e3 kits. Which is the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 kits. Which is the best?

I'm in England and fancy building a 5e3. Looks like the choices are between Marsh, Mission and Torres. The US kits ( MArsh & Mission) are a bit cheaper than the Torres but by the time I pay for shipping and import duty there won't be much in it either way.

Simple question, which is the best! I want to sound as close to the real thing as possible. I'll probably go for the Torres unles someone say they are awful, for the convenience of shipping really. But i'd be interested to know if anyone has A/B'd any of these kits.

Thanks

Justa about to take the plunge myself. Not quite what you are after but check out Amp Maker - Guitar amp kits and valve / tube amplifier components. Seem very good value and get good reviews.Just athought.

Comment

Of the three amp kit companies you mention, I'd definitely buy the Mission.
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Don't know anything about them, but the Tube Amp Doctor(Germany) has a 5E3 kit.

Comment

Don't know anything about them, but the Tube Amp Doctor(Germany) has a 5E3 kit.
          Based on the Mojo kit.

Comment

Originally posted by fyl View Post
            Based on the Mojo kit.
            I just built a Mojo kit and it has very good quality components.

Comment

I Like The Mission!

I have a friend who built one . Sounds Great!. Mike

Comment

I built two of the Mission 5E3s as well as one of their 5F4s....excellent quality components, easy to follow layout, and probably the best customer service going.

Comment

Hi Guy's

I'm also in the UK and building a 5E3 in head form, I didn't consider a kit I thought I'd do it from scratch and very interesting what I've found out. All the parts are readily available if you search the net. Don't be too anal regarding carbon composite resistors and Sprague atom 16uF capacitors, close values should do, voltages and currents always have a tolerance anyway and rectifiers need experimentation so it seems.

But what do I know I haven't completed mine yet!

Try Phil at Bluebell Audio in Scotland he's a mine of information if you call him and has lotsa parts available.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by fyl View Post
                    Based on the Mojo kit.
                    The Marsh kit is also based on the MOJO kit, although Marsh provides an instruction manual, and is less $ than the MOJO.

Comment

if your living in the UK, check allparts UK.
                      They have MOJO KITS, you won't pay import taxes and shipment was low.

components are fine but you should consider another speaker and the NOS rectifier!

Comment

Mission is the only way to go and that's no lie !!
                        KB

Comment

Mission is the way

My first amp build was a Mission 5e3, That was 3 years ago. The amp still amazes me every time I play it. Nothing but quality parts, you will not be disappointed.

Comment

I had very good results with mission

Comment

Originally posted by Amp Kat View Post
                              Mission is the only way to go and that's no lie !!
                              If you're not sourcing your own parts, get a Mission kit. Bruce does good stuff and is a pleasure to deal with (and all I bought was a PT clamp and a Pilot Lamp wrench).

Comment

Working...
                              X