Humbucker bobbins, from different vendors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker bobbins, from different vendors

I have picked up bobbins from the likes of Stumac and Mojo. Its nice the Mojo has different sizes, but I was not as impressed with the bobbin itself.

Does anyone else have any experience with these and other bobbins. from other vendors.

Originally posted by Woodenspoke View Post
    I have picked up bobbins from the likes of Stumac and Mojo. Its nice the Mojo has different sizes, but I was not as impressed with the bobbin itself.

Does anyone else have any experience with these and other bobbins. from other vendors.
    Yeah I tried stuff from everywhere. The stewmac and allparts are great looking but they are way off spec if you want vintage correct. The bobbin height is too high compared to the mojo, gj, which are wsc bobbins. I dig those personally in that the cream looks good, I can get any size, the coil height is vintage correct, and it fits all of the other parts they sell. I personally like the cut off ends (even though others seem to dislike it) because it gives me a little more room to tuck wires. All in all thumbs up and for the price?

Comment

Originally posted by voodoochild View Post
      Yeah I tried stuff from everywhere. The stewmac and allparts are great looking but they are way off spec if you want vintage correct. The bobbin height is too high compared to the mojo, gj, which are wsc bobbins. I dig those personally in that the cream looks good, I can get any size, the coil height is vintage correct, and it fits all of the other parts they sell. I personally like the cut off ends (even though others seem to dislike it) because it gives me a little more room to tuck wires. All in all thumbs up and for the price?
      What does Montreux sell the WCS.

I keep reading more and more about the SM, All-parts bobbins that they are not vintage correct, as I find more and more information buried in this forum, does this really make a difference if you are not recreating a vintage bobbin? I mean I have checked them for size with a micrometer and they are both .375" high. maybe I missed something here?

However the fit and finish seem a bit cheaper to me on the WCS. But it is a difference that will not be seen on the outside.

So from what you have said we have only two bobbin choices?

Even though I am a humbucker kind of guy winding them is a bit more work especially when it comes to getting parts. Starting to think about alternative styles of HB's.
      Last edited by Woodenspoke; 05-08-2009, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I personally like the SM and AP bobbins because they seem more finished. I also think that the screw holes are tighter which keeps the screws a little more secure. I just wish they had different widths! I also don't care too much about vintage correct because as many have said on this forum before, the average joe modern rock guitar player does not want thier pickups to sound anything like a real PAF. If you know what you are doing you should be able to make a good pickup from either bobbin...but I too would like to know what else is out there!

Comment

Hmmm strange. I just looked through my drawers of junk and discovered two sizes from Allparts. The ones I tried years back were taller inside bobbin height. There is a pair of some I got recently that are the right height now. I actually got them to keep around for winding higher output humbuckers because I thought these were tall like before. They must have gone through some changes. Anyhow I did notice the glossy face of the bobbins differ quite a bit between the Allparts and WSC. The WSC actually have a much cleaner look to them. The Allparts ones have lines running out from the holes. Yikes Must me something to do with the mold. But back to the original question. I use the Mojo, GJ, bobbins because I can order them any size, individually and the cream looks good to me.
          Keep in mind there are some other bobbin choices other than AP, SM, Mojo, GJ. The problem is you have to order from overseas which is way more expensive to do and makes no sense unless you are geared up to do 500-1000 of the same pickup per year. Also the ones mentioned here are the best available IMO. The other stuff from China is funky in respect to something. No squares, weird spacings, weird heights, nothing seems to jive with them. And trying to communicate changes? Yeah forget that. I got better things to do you know?
          Last edited by voodoochild; 05-08-2009, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X