5e3x2 Hum - - - get this one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3x2 Hum - - - get this one!

I built a Weber 5e3x2 kit a while back, which has always sounded good, but has always been a bit of a hummer. I've always attributed the hum to lead dress in the input circuits, as the amount of hum varies from one channel to the other when in use, but it's pretty quiet without anything plugged into the inputs.

I put debugging onto the back burner due to lack of free time, figuring it would be a simple matter when I get around to it.

Here's where the story gets wierd: Yesterday I noticed that just plugging the 5e3x2 into a wall socket causes hum in ANOTHER amp (plugged into a different outlet but the same circuit). This is with the 5e3x2 switched off and on standby, not connected to the rest of the rig.

Jeff

Just a wild guess..

It sure is a mystery...I have an "Uncle Spot Reverb" that does the same thing...I have to keep it plugged into a HumX device to tame it.....have no idea what causes it.

Maybe neutral and hot connections are reversed in the amp?

Regards.

Comment

>Maybe neutral and hot connections are reversed in the amp?<

Hi TD,
      I had somebody over at the Weber forum suggest reversing the primary leads, something I'm loath to do until I've exhausted everything else. But I'll be sure to check it to be sure when I get back off the road.

Maybe one of the outlets is miswired. I'll try putting both amps on a powerstrip together, and if that cures it, I'll start checking the house wiring.

Thanks

Comment

I wish it was that easy...I've tried using a common powerstrip and still have the problem......and since it's an "Uncle Spot"...I'm loathe to mess with it...but may have to do just that.

Comment

I know My outlet at My house is wired backwards, My 5e3x2 doesnt hum any.

Comment

Yikes

Grounding problems are scary. Been shocked yet?? Causing interference in other electronics on the same circuit is not good. Don't be afraid to reverse the primary leads unless its a two pronger and the gear has the one leg grounded to the chassis.. Ouch, my mouth tastes like metal just thinking about it...

Take that gear in and never get inbetween electrons and their ground.

Comment

Working...
            X