No announcement yet.

mounting a reverb pan: screws, springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mounting a reverb pan: screws, springs?

I read in the Weber books that mr. Weber finds tonal differences depending on how the reverb pan is attached to the cabinet. Can anyone second that? I would think a spring-mounted reverb pan is less prone to pick up movement from the cabinet? BTW I want to mount it in a head.

The rub with mounting a reverb pan in a head is that it will pick up hum from the power transformer. I did it once and in order to make it work I had to move the pad adound within the "mountable" area until I found a quiet spot and mount it right there and there only. Otherwise HUMMMMMMM. The good news is that the quiet spot was quiet. I hope you have a similar experience.

As for picking up stray noise...I would be less concearned about this in a head cabinet. In a head the pan is less likely to pick up any vibration from the speaker than if it were in a combo cabinet. And they get mounted in those all the time with nothing more than a cardboard tray, a bag and two screws.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

It also depends on your particular type of pan. Some pans are designed to be mounted 'horizontally' and others 'vertically' (See the accutronics website for more info). If you mount the one type the other way, if will affect the 'verb you get out of it due to the altered characteristics of movement of the spring within each transducer's magnetic field. I just use horizontal mounting pans and lie them on the cab floor with a bit of bubble wrap around them.
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thanks for reminding me, I completely forgot. It has to be mounted horizontally, open side down, so that narrows it down.
        I will screw it down, make sure the casing is grounded properly, and that the PT is in the least hum-inducing angle.
        Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Also, the cardboard panel used on the open side has two strips of wood for clearance. The springs will hang down and muffle themselves otherwise. A strip or two of adhesive foam on the outside of the tank can be used to further dampen any feedback, and the bag all that goes into, helps isolate the tank from physical vibrations.

Comment

Working...
          X