Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x12 Combo Cabinet Options

Hello
    I'm trying to decide what the best option is for me in building my 2x12 combo. I've got a Rivera K55 head which I simply love that I wanna put in a 2x12 combo. I've gotta buy tube retainers for the extra vibrations,
    I have a few questions for the builders out here:

1. Should I go with a Twin kinda config where one of the speakers is a bit higher positioned that the other, or should I go with an inline configuration where both speakers are the same height?
    What's the difference soundwise?

2. If I go with the twin config will I be able to hear myself better as one of the speakers stays a bit higher? If so, what's the trade off?

3. The other thing is I want to angle and front baffle a bit so that the speakers are pointing up a bit so I can hear myself decently when playing small stages and such. What's the best angle for this for best results?
    How do you mount the front baffle in an angle and how do you cut the bottom part of the front baffle so that it's flush with the bottom of the cab at the joint?

Thanks

I believe the position of the second speaker in a Twin Reverb cabinet was just a matter of the overall size of that amp.
    The smaller the amp the better IMHO (well, at least to a certain degree). Your back will be thankful.
    Tonewise I don't think the different position will have more than a subtle effect. Same matters how tall you are or where you are standing in front of the amp.
    Same with the angle of the baffle board. The small angle at which you could put the baffle board in wouldn't have a major effect. That's why Fender introduced the tiltback legs.
    I usually don't cut the bottom end of the baffle to have it flush with the cabinet.

Comment

I agree with all of that. Offsetting the speaker will let you make the cab a little shorter if that is a concern. I put my 2x12 (or any combo) on an amp stand. That gives me tilt, and I don't have to bend over for small adjustments. One other though to consider - build it so that you can change baffles easily. My 2x12 is a Mojo cab that came with a 1x12 and a 1x15 baffle. The 2x12 is my own baffle to use with a stereo head, or wired in series to work at 16 ohm. Obviously, two 2x12 baffles with different speakers would have their own purpose too. It beats having a bunch of cabinets laying around. The loaded baffles store neatly in a closet. >> I just re-read and saw you're talking about a combo cab, and separate baffles would require extra care to clear the chassis components, but still a cool idea for a combo. I don't make combo's any more due to the number of cabinets and speakers I have to purchase. It keeps the cost down, divides the weight, and allows me to use speakers I already own.
      Last edited by GibsonLover; 05-12-2009, 05:05 PM.
      Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
      Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

Hi thanks for the details guys!

In terms of wood for this 2x12 I'm trying to make: what are the best options in terms or sound / weight. I got a hold of 3/4 13 ply baltic birch and man it's crazy heavy! I don't wanna end up with a boat anchor. Are there any other options? What are they making the 2x12s nowadays from? 5/8? 3/4? what kind? etc
        Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X