LED b/t relay ground and ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED b/t relay ground and ground

Will that work? I'm thinking it will being that the relay is a 12v non-latching and the current through the relay will also be the current through any component insert b/t IT and ground. Ofcourse I'll need to insert a current limiting resistor as well. Just though I'd post this thought and see if I'm off my rocker on this. any thoughts?

Anything that you put in series with the relay coil will reduce the voltage across that coil, which means that the current through the coil will also be reduced, and it may not be enough to close the contacts. You'd need to increase the supply voltage (or use a lower voltage relay) by whatever is dropped across the LED to make it work reliably.
    -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

What is more often done is to have an LED and resistor in series with the relay coil, with enough current flowing through it all to light the LED, but not energize the relay. The you use the switch to short across the LED/resistor, and that energizes the relay. The LED is lit to indicate the relay is not on. SInce the relay contacts switch both ways, you can wire up whichever set of contacts that make the circuit do what you want vis a vis the LED lighting.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

ok yeah right on. makes sense. thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X