Rewinds - Safe Proper Gutting of Rewind candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewinds - Safe Proper Gutting of Rewind candidates

The title more or less says it. I've been getting away with cutting the old coil out with an exacto knife but had a few close calls with marring the customer's original bobbin so I'm thinking there's gotta be a better way.

I'm all ears, gentlemen...

I also used to use an xacto, but now I use a small pair of angled suture scissors that I happened to have had in my tool box for years.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
      The title more or less says it. I've been getting away with cutting the old coil out with an exacto knife but had a few close calls with marring the customer's original bobbin so I'm thinking there's gotta be a better way.

I'm all ears, gentlemen...
      3/16" - 1/4" very sharp chisel. Just be careful. You can take the entire wire off in 10 seconds.. and really if you mar the coil former ever so slight it doesnt really matter.

Best way in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
        3/16" - 1/4" very sharp chisel. Just be careful. You can take the entire wire off in 10 seconds.. and really if you mar the coil former ever so slight it doesnt really matter.

Best way in my book.
        You must have a Tormek grinder. Razor sharp chisels in no time. Zip, your done.
        They don't make them like they used to... We do.
        www.throbak.com
        Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

naw thats high falutin' technology.

I use EZE Lap diamond stones and a edge sander (to flatten the bottom when its REALLY mangled). The 1200 grit EZE Lap is awsome because its 3" x 8" so you get a huge surface, I think they cost like $40 each.. I have a coarse 250, 400, 600, and 1200. I really only use the 250 and the 1200. Once on a while I use the others, but mostly the 1200.

I tell you when setting up my winder for the first time I went through so many coils and so much wire. When I figured out to use a chisel to remove the wire I was such a happy man. Up until then I was just throwing coils away because it was so much work to remove the wire that I didnt bother.

Comment

I'm lazy.
            They don't make them like they used to... We do.
            www.throbak.com
            Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

liar liar pants on fire.

It's 11:51 your time right now, and I know you working! Lazy my butt.

Comment

Have you guys not got one of these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	sonicscrewtroch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	814746
                sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

Laser pointer? ICBM missle? Prop nuclear warhead from a cheap action flick?
                  www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Thanks for that. I love this forum for the little tips. Can't believe I didn't think of a chisel. That save a lot of time.

Billy

Comment

Best way in my book.
                      That's a good idea. I was using a chisel shaped xacto blade, which wasn't sharp enough.

The scissor takes me about three or four snips.

I stopped using the xacto because it was marring plastic bobbins.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
                        Laser pointer? ICBM missle? Prop nuclear warhead from a cheap action flick?
                        If I have my geek hat on straight thats a Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver.

Comment

Yeah, the problem with the xacto is that you get too confident after a while, and mar the bobbin, or even worse, YOUR fingers!!!

Jim
                          =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            That's a good idea. I was using a chisel shaped xacto blade, which wasn't sharp enough.

The scissor takes me about three or four snips.

I stopped using the xacto because it was marring plastic bobbins.
                            Marple makes a nice 1/4" that you can just grind the side edge down slightly. I think they are pretty cheap, and are available at woodcraft, maybe even home depot.

Comment

Marple makes a nice 1/4" that you can just grind the side edge down slightly. I think they are pretty cheap, and are available at woodcraft, maybe even home depot.
                              I have a 1/4" chisel but I need to grind and sharpen the end. It has a chip. I've just got to get myself to sharpen the thing!

I rarely do rewinds, so just about the only time I need to remove wire is when I've messed up a coil, and that's usually in the first couple of hundred turns, or when prototyping.

Actually I just remembered I have another even smaller chisel... It's an 1/8". now I have to remember where I put it.

Comment

Working...
                              X