1N456 diode question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1N456 diode question

Can you replace these with anything? I'm building an Ampeg Scrambler, and we don't have any at the shop. Thanks for the help

Mouser has them in stock for 6 cents each, and shows the BAV19 as a cross for 5 cents.

Slap a 1N4148 in there and see if it works.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I made myself a couple of these things and, for reasons that are just too boneheaded to get into, I ended up sticking a Distortion+ clone and a Scrambler in the same package.

I can not recommend this combination high enough. Unbelievable flexibility and range of tones. The Dist+ front end does a couple of things. First, the output level (I use a 100k pot) doubles as both an overall level control and a sensitivity control, neither of which the Scrambler has...and desperately needs. Second, by driving the Scrambler a little harder, you can get some truly sick sounds out of it. By driving it a little lighter, you can get much better control over the degree of octave generation, in addition to achieving some blooming octaves that fade in as you sustain the note with a little finger vibrato. Third, by setting the Dist+ for harder clipping, you present a somewhat compressed signal to the Scrambler which lengthens the period of time the octave hangs around, and also enriches the octave sound by adding more lower-order harmonics to produce octaves of. Finally, if that wasn't enough, when the Blend control on the Scrambler is set for clean-only, you get the plain unadorned tone of the Dist+. So, everything from plain vanilla overdrive to overdrive with "hair" to octave fuzz to sheer mayhem. Like I said, very flexible pedal, and only 4 knobs.

I mod the Dist+ to have more bass, and to roll off more treble for a warmer overdrive tone. I also replace the 500k reverse audio taper drive pot with a simple 50k linear pot, since the interesting tones are all found in the last 50k of pot resistance anyways.

Try it, you'll like it!

Comment

+1 on the dist plus Mark!

It was a great sounding FX back in the 80s and it's still going strong today IMHO.

I have built a clone myself, using metal film resistors and an NE5534AN to keep noise down, and adding the possibility to switch between symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping.

( When I was young I liked the harder clipping of the "symmetrical" setting more, now I'm more into "asymmetrical" which sounds a little sweeter.....maybe I'm getting old ).

All in all, a very good example ( together with the FF, to name another ) of how a simple circuit can make for a great sounding stompbox!

Cheers

Bob
        Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Working...
        X