RI Marshall Super Lead 100 with bias issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RI Marshall Super Lead 100 with bias issue

I wanted to get some thoughts on a Marshall RI Superlead MKII that has a creeping bias. It will keep going lower until it hits 0v from -31vdc and then one of the power tubes red plates. (I swapped out Power tubes and the same thing happens.) The amp starts slowly motorboating also. I am suspecting bad filter caps, I though the grid stop resistors could be going into thermal break down so I put a heat gun on them and they went up 50 ohms within 30 seconds. I monitored the Filter cap voltages and they slowly go down also. With the current limiter hooked up the amp runs fine, no bias creep.
    Last edited by WholeToneMusic; 05-14-2009, 11:45 PM.
    Helping musicians optimize their sound.

SO what happens when no power tubes are installed?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'd disconnect the PI coupling caps and see what happens as well.
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Hmm Veddy Veddy interesting. I pulled the power tubes and let it go full voltage for 15 minutes and the bias stayed at -37.

Comment

Sounds like a failed output tube then.
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Heres the kicker, The customer and I have already tried two sets of output tubes. Also we ran it with two tubes pulled. Thinking *He was using a hot plate with it, could be possible he toasted the OT a bit.*

Comment

The first set of tubes I put into it were some chinese tubes (not the best tubes for HT) I decided to put some JJ's in their and ran it for 30 minutes cranked and it stable. I did hear one thud when I was not playing that concerned me. I am going to bias them at 40mA.

Comment

Working...
              X