'thin' sounding effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'thin' sounding effects

Hi Folks, I recently acquired an old zoom 9002 guitar effects processor, the small one that could fit on your belt. It works quite well with headphones but when I plug it into my amps, it sounds thin. I downloaded the manual off the web and it says that it has a built in amp simulator or something that is supposed to eliminate that 'thin' sound. I have tried different amps, different cords and different guitars to no avail. Would pre-amping the effects processor help? Any help would be greatly appreciated and any info on this processor would be great as I had never seen this one before. (I picked it up at an auction, it was at the bottom of a box of junk I bought)

Best Regards

Brett

Brett,

I've had one of these for over 10 years, and if it's combined with the right pickup IMO it can sound incredible (I always use it with headphones, though). I tried it with an amp once, and IIRC the 1/4" output sounded pretty weak to me so I used an adaptor from the headphone output, which had plenty of level and sounded a lot better IMO. I had hear that output level from the 'Out' jack was increased in later models, but I don't know firsthand.

One more thing: DON'T overcharge your battery, if you still have one. I now have a 9002 I use, a spare one, and a parts junker, all because these things love to smoke their charge pump power supplies during battery (over)charging.

Ray

Comment

Hi Ray, thank you for your response. I don't have a battery for this unit so I just use a transformer. I had heard that there were some battery issues. I love the sound I get through the headphones, I use mostly gibson with the humbuckers and p-90's. In the headphones the sound is HUGE and I just wish I could get that same sound through the amp. If nothing works its no loss as it really didn't cost me anything. Maybe some day I will look for a battery for it, although I would have to find a charger as well. I thank you for your kind response and hope to talk to you again.

Best Regards

Brett

Comment

Brett,

Here's a link to a 9002-related site:

http://e-lectronics.net/advanced_sea...?keywords=9002

Ray

Comment

Working...
        X