No announcement yet.

tolex/adhesive frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me nothing beats latex based contact cement. It's fast. There's no odor. It's easy to work with. It's easy to clean up. I've had no failures to date.

Aerosol adhesives are ridiculously expensive, hard to use, and don't hold that well.

Comment

I have no problems with Mojo's contact adhesive. Four cabs so far and no wrinkles.

..Joe L
      ..Joe L

Comment

Call me crazy, but I just use wood glue. Takes a while to glue and clamp, but I know it's a good bond and it's very forgiving. Great for using indoors, no mess no odor..

Comment

Originally posted by cminor9 View Post
          I tried a few different types of adhesives to get the tolex edges to stay put. Something too hard like super glue and epoxy isn't so good for Tolex. Figured that. A different type of contact cement is just more of the same; like the 3M #90 it works fine for everything but the edges. So something not hard, but not too soft is what I figured I'd need.

The winner: Gorilla glue. It seems to have worked very well. Just followed the instructions on the packaging. It sort of foams up and expands after you apply it and clamp it. My edges don't seem to be going anywhere now. So if you are having trouble with your tolex peeling on the corners or other edges try Gorilla glue. A little goes a long way.

Next thing I build, I'll try using the 3M spray adhesive but I'll put masking tape on the last 1/4" for each edge on the outside of the cab. I'll put the gorilla glue on the edges, and I think that might work well.

So everyone, there's something that seemed to have worked for me. Time will tell how it endures. If I appear here a year from now ranting about how Gorilla glue didn't work, then so be it.
          OK. It's 5 years into the future for you, Cminor9. How'd the gorilla glue work out?
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

I too am curious how the Gorilla glue worked out!
            I recently covered a head in R-W-B, and really had a problem with the white. The first 2 tries, the backing was coming loose from the tolex while using my usual 3M adhesive. Finally I used some 3M spray and all is good.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Moore View Post
              I too am curious how the Gorilla glue worked out!
              I recently covered a head in R-W-B, and really had a problem with the white. The first 2 tries, the backing was coming loose from the tolex while using my usual 3M adhesive. Finally I used some 3M spray and all is good.
              Very nice, Bill! Did you color in the Peavey logo as well? It really 'pops' there with the white tolex.
              If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
              If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
              We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
              MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

No the logo was from the combo that jumped out of a truck my nephew was driving (taking a short cut down the mountain), and destroyed the cab. Since he is no longer with us, I thought I'd do something different with it. Working on the speaker cab now.

Comment

Originally posted by hylaphone View Post
                  Call me crazy, but I just use wood glue. Takes a while to glue and clamp, but I know it's a good bond and it's very forgiving. Great for using indoors, no mess no odor..
                  That's what I've started doing recently for all the edges. I catch the main flat surfaces with a fair amount of spray adhesive and then wood glue & clamp my edges and so far so good.
                  ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Working...
                  X