guitar switch popping noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar switch popping noise

Is there a trick such as installing a cap to reduce popping noise when switching passive pickups. I've installed a mini DPDT as a volume control by-pass switch and depending on which amp I plug into it makes an audible pop noise.

The culprit is the "open" circuit for a millisecond or so. If you put in some resistors the circuit will never be open and therefore wouldn't pop.
    See attachment.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Matt, (BTW, how r u doin' ? ) hi allsavy,

Matt's solution is an elegant one, for the resistors "work" only when operating the switches.

Probably something like this would work just as well, as the two resistors, though "always there" are big enough not to load the pickup(s) IMHO.

Cheers

Bob
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Robert M. Martinelli; 05-21-2009, 08:23 AM.
      Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Hi Bob,
        hope you're fine too.
        I used your version in one of my amps to switch channels. Works good.

Comment

guitar switch popping noise, newbie

Would it be too much trouble to convert this into a wire diag (I can't read music [quickly], but I can follow chord charts!! )

I rehab'd a Parker P-38 (HSS) with Seymour JB for the HB and Classic Stacks for the SC's. I went for single "A" coil w/DPDT for the JB (a spst would have worked, but I was following a diag). No probs, so far. Then I added the Stacks and DPDT's to split them. Now I get a pop when I use the micro's or the 5-way.

Using a diag (for the slow one[s]), would your "trick" work for me? Many thanks in advance, y'all!

Comment

You shouldn't get a pop with the 5 way. They are make before break.

You aren't switching the grounds are you? Are all the pickup grounds (bare wire) grounded?

Check over all the ground wires.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

U R Guru

Back to Basics. Satisfactory solder joints 101, and I failed. Luckily I had another chance and I had a humbling coming to me. Need more reps with the soldering iron....NOTHING is popping except when I go the piezos (I can live with that) It's the only gadget making ANY noise (except when I'm playing through them he he)

I'll send you a photo of the finished DYI, a product of your assistance for which I am forever indebted. I am not worthy to change the batteries in your voltmeter, O Guru.

Not that you have the time, phfobe.com

frank

Comment

Doesn't the piezo have a preamp? How are you switching that with the passive pickups?
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Parker P-38 rehab

There is a spst toggle 0n/0n/0n (mags, mags & piezo, piezo). I fear I've used old solder (dumb!), so on the way to practice, today, I'm going to grab a solder-sucker. My fellow player has great silver solder, new iron; we're going to clean everything up and start from scratch.

After I got rid of the popping I put it back together, restrung it, and there is a short running through the entire axe. Too much wrong for anything to be right. My bud has a more experienced hand, as well.

Thanks again for your help and interest. I'll let you know how it went, and NOT ask for more advice. I've got to get the BASICS right, first!!

Comment

Contuiing Saga

I REALLY need a wiring diagram for a P-38. Know where I can get one? Fingers are wearing out from searching search engines. HELP!

Everything goes through the Fishman preamp. The input jack goes through it. It looks like the shielding from this 2-cond/shielded wire came loose, from where? I have no idea. If I only had a diagram (Boo Hoo!), "or a brain, a heart, the nerve!" (apologizes to "Wizard of Oz"!)

frank

Comment

Originally posted by phfobric View Post
                      I REALLY need a wiring diagram for a P-38. Know where I can get one? Fingers are wearing out from searching search engines. HELP!
                      Why don't you try contacting Parker Guitars?

Comment

Re ur RE

I have. Half of the Parker home page links are "404". I used the cust svc link. Says they'll reply within 24-48. I paid for a hand drawn diagram from ManualFox for 6.99. Maybe, I'll get a free one from Parker, too. I started this misadventure Friday evening, so everyone was probably gone for the W/E @ Parker, which doesn't altogether explain why they don't have an assessable database for stuff like this. Maybe they did at one time, but I haven't been on board with Parker very long.

Comment

I sent a service request by e-mail regarding my P44 and received a reply within an hour on several consecutive occasions. Perhaps the support folks are into their vacation period?

Comment

Was that before or after the company was sold?

Comment

USMusic responds!!

Got four PDF pages of stuff from "Parker". Someone's still watching the "farm". They said give them 24-48hrs....

I've attached the wiring diagram. Hope it opens! If it does, there is a glaring discrepancy. Regarding the Power Chip, when I first removed the pickguard, I dislodged the shielding from the bottom corner connection going to the output jack. It broke cleanly and it wasn't immediately apparent (no diag); only the red & white were visible. There was a tang of itty-bitty shielding sticking out from the connector. Aha! So, we trimmed the insulation back and reconnected the shielding. The discrepancy is, the yellow coming from the 3-way, instead of going to where it is in the diag, it goes to the corner, where we reconnected the shielding. The piezos have worked fine, before and during the rehab. This is a moot point (if it works, don't fix it!), I reckon, but it bothered me a bit, seeing it like that.

Anyhow, me being clueless, dangerous, I never changed the tone pot to a 500k along with the vol. (D'oh!) So, as soon as I do THAT, then I'll know where I stand. I am confident to go onward through the fog (of rosin "smoke") and complete this project. This config will give me 17 different sounds, between a Strat and a Black Beauty (3 S/C or 3 HBs!).

I'll call it my, Parker Fly See-More P-38 'nstein! Kinda catchy...

joy!

Comment

Working...
                              X