Ampeg SVT 4 Pro power issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg SVT 4 Pro power issue

Hi everybody. I have an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro bass head that essentially won't turn on.

When I turn the amp on I hear a buzzing noise (coming from the head) and there's a flash from the area where the circuit breaker is. The lights and any other electronics in the room dim or turn off (I've tried this in multiple rooms) and the circuit breaker switch on the head pops out.

I know next to nothing about the inner workings of amps and I'm hoping someone here might have a solution for me that doesn't involve spending more money than I have by taking the head to an authorized ampeg service center.

Thanks in advance for any answers anyone might have.
    Anthony

I'm not sure what your exact problem is without further troubleshooting but I have rebuilt about a half a dozen of those and it's very expensive and labor intensive. Whatever the problem is your compounding it by repeatedly trying to make it work. If your not technically inclined you'll most definately have to take it to a qualified shop.

Comment

Amen. The fact that the room lights dims means you have a heavy short circuit in the amp. COUld be power amp stage, could be power supply, could even be the power transformer. But it won;t be some simple Radio Shack and two minutes with a screwdriver fix.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I figured as much so I haven't touched it since the problem started, other than to bring it home and see if it was just an issue with the power in the building. Thanks guys, just thought I'd ask.

Comment

I usually quote 6-8 hours plus about $100 worth of parts to repair those amps. I would rather refurbish an old SVT tube amp than repair one of those amps. They are almost impossible to troubleshoot while under power and if you have to remove and reinstall the main board and heatsinks to replace the power fets that alone is about an hour's labor...do that two or three times because you didn't find all the damaged parts (some are invariably under the heatsink) the first or second time, time starts to add up really fast.

Comment

Working...
          X