Wan a be luthier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wan a be luthier

Hello to all, please allow me to introduce myself, My name is Walt and I'm a newbie to this forum and hoping that I may be able to learn a few things and possibly contribute aswell.

kind regards

Wal
    I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but man, sometimes their ideas are just brilliant.

welcome!

Wal,

Welcome...this is a fun, friendly, and I have found it to be a very knowledgeable forum. Do you have a question?

Comment

Well, admitting that he wants to be a luthier is enough of a problem isn't it?
      Welcome to our twelve step program. The chance of a full recovery is pretty small but by examining our example you might just see your way to functioning adulthood again. Good luck!

Comment

Yes well I guess I should have taken the red pill instead of the blue one, at least that's what I'm told on the woodwork forum LOL.

Questions? Gee where do I start? Why cant I purchase AWG 42 wire and al nico magnets in Australia?

Aussie magnets have al nico magnets but there magnetized on the flat faces instead of the narrow ends.

Is it still sleepy hollow here and every one forgot to tell me? LLLOL

Thanks for the welcome folks.

regards

Wal
        I know the voices in my head aren't real..... but man, sometimes their ideas are just brilliant.

Comment

Hey Wal, this is Ruel from the Philippines. I was able to buy 42 wire some years back from Electrowind in Australia through my in laws who live in Victoria. However, I am not at all sure if the company is still around. Damn! I should have kept the invoice.

Tough luck on the magnets. If you cannot get the right stuff in Australia, you might have to go the way I do things. That is, buy from StewMac. Yeah, I know. They're not exactly cheap. But what can we do?

Comment

Don't be silly! We mostly buy our magnets directly from China now. The shipping is high but the prices are so low you'll be tripping over yourself.

Sens Magnetic Products,Inc
            No.1128,Xiaoshao Rd,Xiaoshan, Hangzhou,311200 China
            Tel: +86 571 83713702 82759003
            Fax: +86 571 82759005 83713766
            Email: info@sensmag.com
            Http: ÉòÊϴŵ磨º¼ÖÝ£©ÓÐÏÞ¹«Ë¾ Sens Magnetic Products, Inc
            BAE wire on ebay has decent prices for wire and probably ships worldwide.

Buying for Stewmac is like buying from the mob.

Comment

Can't help it, man. I have to be silly most of the time. You see, unlike most of the guys here, my requirements are very small. I inquired about minimum orders from a supplier in China and it was way huge for my needs. So even though the price is cheap, it won't work for me.

How many is the minimum number that one can order from this supplier you posted?

Comment

Hey Guys, nice to see the forum up and running again, I just wanted to gloat a little as I managed to pick up a spool of awg 42 from OBA in Brisbane for a mere $50.00 per 1.04 kilo. Less than a 1/4 what stewmacs sell's it for.

Yeah I'm so chuffed. now all I need is magnets.

regards

Wal

Comment

Ruel,
                  You are welcome,
                  Sensmag apparently has no minimum so that's easy and they will send out free samples too at least if you look like a business. I ordered some custom lengths which added 3 weeks and there was no surcharge at the quantities I needed. Again the shipping will probably be 1/3-1/2 the cost but the prices are good -you won't care.

Comment

Originally posted by walcen View Post
                    Hey Guys, nice to see the forum up and running again, I just wanted to gloat a little as I managed to pick up a spool of awg 42 from OBA in Brisbane for a mere $50.00 per 1.04 kilo. Less than a 1/4 what stewmacs sell's it for.
                    Oh yeah, don't buy wire from Stew-Mac. I bought a few rolls from them in the beginning when I was starting out, but I can get 2.5 lbs for about what they sell a 1/2 lb for.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

optical interrupt switch

Can anyone tell me how to wire up an optical interrupt switch so I can use it on my pickup winder counter? It's a few bux cheaper than a read switch and more accurate.

regards

Wal
                      Last edited by walcen; 05-31-2009, 01:06 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Try these links walcen

Digi-Key - QRB1114-ND (Fairchild Optoelectronics Group - QRB1114)

Digi-Key - RLC03-ND (Red Lion Controls - CUB30000)

Optoreflector - Mechatronics Wiki

Here is the post that gave me the idea.
                        http://music-electronics-forum.com/t4308/

Comment

Thanks Dinger I appreciate the response, it helps a lot

regards

Wal

Comment

pickup winding speed

Does anyone know what the fastest recommended winding speed is for pickups?

what's the fastest anyone has wound?

regards to all

Walt

Comment

Walt,
                              For guitar pickups and shorter coils I'm guessing you could go 1600 or 2k rpm with 43 or finer wire if you had everything sorted out for tension and traverse.
                              For longer bass pickups and 42 it gets difficult to go over 1500 without stretching the wire out from the bobbin due to centripetal force. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X