Two power Transformers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two power Transformers

I'm trying to combine an 18 watt marshall style circuit x2-el84 (fixed biased) with a Fender super 5d4 type circuit x2-6v6 (cathode biased). Will more than likely use two phase inverters (LTP for the el84s and paraphase for the 6v6s).
    I'm thinking Tube rect (5u4gb) to power the el84s and a seperate PT with SS rect. for the 6v6s.
    Will having two PTs in the amp be problematic? I havent nailed down any switching scheme yet but what happens if I decide to have both output sets run at the same time...feeding a single OT?

Right now all 4 output tubes are in a parallel push pull configuration and all cathode biased and powered by one PT with tube rect and there is only one split load PI. With the extra 2 tubes (the el84s are an addition to what was a x2-6v6 amp) overall voltages dropped to more or less 300v max. Although the voltage seems appropiate for both sets of outputs (especially the 84s) I feel the extra tubes might tax the old PT too much and so considered adding another PT and changing the config. as above.
    Will there be all kinds of phasing problems and general mayhem to fix?

2 will be fine, assuming positioning doesn't induce noise.
    i used two on a 100W (one 24V for bias supply, toroidal for everything else) and more recently three on a little EF86 -> PP 6MB8, two 30V in series into a quadrupler for HT, and a 6.3V@2A for heaters. All worked fine

Comment

Working...
    X