Buying and inductor to make a varitone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varitone inductor

The original varitone circuit appeared in the Gibson ES355 Stereo in the early sixties. The value was 7 Henrys. The ones that everybody is using to make varitones are too low in inductance and the DCR is too high so they don't have the notch depth that the original Gibson circuit had. I'm an electronic engineer and had a company wind some custom for me a few years ago. I still have one or two left somewhere but I can't remember who the vendor was. I'm going to check with some of the makers of power torroids adn will post a source if I find one.

Comment

Zombie transformers?

Originally posted by dovedescending View Post
      Sorry to raise a dead thread...
      This may be a redundant post; it didn't show up for a while after I thought I submitted it the first time. I don't know forum etiquette regarding old threads, or whether anyone will see this, but here goes:

Can someone tell me if this shielded inductor would work for the Varitone application? It would be going into an Epi Dot (can't shield the control cavity if there is none).

429-7202-RC Xicon Audio & Signal Transformers

Thanks.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

We've been discussing the value of the chokes here and in another thread, this week I just measured a pair of chokes in a 1966 ES-355 Stereo.

They both measured in at 15.5-16 H and measured about 760 ohms. This was completely removed from the circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
          We've been discussing the value of the chokes here and in another thread, this week I just measured a pair of chokes in a 1966 ES-355 Stereo.

They both measured in at 15.5-16 H and measured about 760 ohms. This was completely removed from the circuit.
          What did the core look like? did you happen to take a pic?
          -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

The chokes are encased in metal cans that are soldered closed. Then the two cans are soldered to a small "U"-channel that screws down in the space beneath the bridge pickup.

Although I did think about it, as the guitar was not mine, I didn't want to try and unsolder the cans or open them either.

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
              What did the core look like? did you happen to take a pic?
              Here's the inductor from the Ripper (L9-S) bass which was also used in the L6-S guitar. It's made from a steel bolt, some washers and a nut!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ripper-wiringBIG.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	818703
              It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I remember that pic David, thanks again.

I was wondering if the "quality" improved with the ES series varitone (if you know what I mean).
                -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Sorry to reply to such an old thread... but did you ever find out how to build the inductor for the Gibson L6-S? I have bought a Torres, but would much rather make one myself. Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

Comment

Radioshack

First post here,
                    Which Radioshack transformer would work as an inductor for a mid-cut? I'm having trouble finding anywhere that sells inductors(especially large ones), and would like to not have to pay shipping.

Comment

(removed)

Comment

Note on XIRCON Inductors

Hi there, just a quick note on the cheap Xircon transformers: i used one of the TL series (i.e., with a small IE14 core) in a Varitone of an Epiphone EB3. They are driven into (iron) saturation, at least if the circuit is undamped, especially if the notch frequency is low. Well, an efficient method to build a passive fuzz, but that's not what i intended. I did not try the larger TM-series, but if i was to build a varitone a 2nd time i would use that.

Beate

Comment

What about the Xircon 429-series shielded and epoxy encapsulated cubes? Wouldn't these be better for guitar applications?

Comment

Larger EI-19 core, otherwise similar specs. Chances are good they are better suited - i did not try until now.

BTW: core saturation affects low frequencies earlier than higher ones. So a bass is more demanding in this respect than a guitar.

Comment

Very interesting, bea. Do you mean the 429 series have iron load as well or no? I'm using a Bill Lawrence Q-filter as inductor with a cap and pot for variable mid cut. This setup has worked well with no audible distortions on guitar(1.8H) and bass(3.0H) but I'm hoping to source a common part for future projects.

Comment

Like every other transformer it can be driven into saturation. I do not dare to judge wether this larger transformer is sufficent (but there are success stories, especially in this forum). So it might be worth to give it a try.

Currently i am considering to make the bass active, mainly in order to decouple the two pickups - the low impedance mudbucker dampens the bridge PU too much if both are run parallel. Given that, a PI-Filter (like that of the AMZ tone control, possibly passive) would be a more useful alternative adding much more versatility to the instrument than a passive notch filter.

Beate

Comment

Working...
                                X