oddball pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oddball pickups

Trying to figure out how to wire these oddball pickups . Not sure what brand of guitar--its an old cheapo made in japan. Each pup has a black, a green, and a red wire--none are shielded . Anyone ever wire one of these? They go to 2 switches .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...o/IMG00012.jpg
    Last edited by 496dart; 12-12-2006, 05:39 AM.

the guitar's a Teisco ET-200 if that's any use...

Comment

shouldnt there be a bare wire too??

Comment

Green is ground!

the green wire is soldered to the pickup plate and should be connected to ground. If it makes you feel better, you could strip the insulation from it and have your bare wire the black and red go to the coil. Depending on phase, and wiring scheme, one of those two will also be connected to ground. The pickups have three leads because many of those Japanese cheese-logs were originally wired so that each pickup was added in series which necessitates a separate wire for the shielded cover(and is the one wiring scheme where the red or black will not be connected to ground).
        BTW the polepieces are just little metal "buttons" that sit on a single thin ceramic magnet.

Comment

Hey,

I'm trying to wire and old Teisco pickup as well. I've got the red wire going to a voulme pot lug, the black wire going to the pot itself, and I don't know what to do with the green wire (it's working like this). There's also a yellow wire sticking out of the cavity which goes through the body to a screw in the tailpiece (the pickgaurd is plastic). Is the green supposed to attach to that? It's a one pickup guitar.

Thanks

Comment

Both green and yellow wires should go to ground. The yellow wire is for grounding the strings. If it stops working, that means the black and green connect inside the pick-up, and you should interchange the red and black connections to get it back working..

Comment

Working...
            X