No announcement yet.

Need some help with a valve amp guys :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... Actuall, I think you could. You would have to run the speakers independant and have the OT secondary - lead between them so they would act as individual windings. The speakers would have to be wired in reverse polarity from one another and youd have to set the primary impedance to a happy medium. Forget trying to add switchable impedances. But it should work.

Chuck

Edit: I really can't imagine when it would come up like the above scenario... But there it is.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by techineer View Post
      A 'center tapped' secondary on an output transformer may be used for the purpose of accommodating multiple values of speaker impedance.... a 4 ohm load would use half of the secondary, while an 8 ohm load would use the full secondary.
      A voltage center tap is not an impedance center tap. E=SQR(P*R).

As an example:
      100W@4ohms = 20V
      100W@8ohms = 28.28V
      100W@16ohms = 40V

The 4 ohm tap is the center tap of the 16 ohm winding.

You'll have to experiment to find out how the secondary is configured. Taps on schematics usually aren't drawn accurately.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
      X