mojo kit questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mbratch View Post
    I've read that the Marsh kit instructions are excellent. But the price is not "a few hundred $ less". Marsh is currently posted at $635, and Mojo is posted at $701. Both kits use good quality components.
    You're correct about the 5E3 kit. Not as much of a bargain as I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
      1. There are two "3 lug terminal strips". They are not shown on the wiring diagram. Could these be for ground connections? maybe they screw under the power transformer nuts? are the three lugs connected inside the terminal? they dont appear to be from the outside. do i need to run a lead thru those three lugs to connect em?
      I guess you have a ground bus, that would be a bare wire grounding every pot, the board, etc. You can use the 3 lug strip to connect ground from power cord, ground bus, etc.
      2. There are a bunch of little nuts and bolts in unlabeled bags. well okay, they are labeled as to size but not as to function and i cannot figure out their function. I know I need 10 nuts and bolts for the tube sockets but there are no sets of ten nuts and bolts. has anyone built a mojo kit and have any idea of what hardware goes where as far as the little nuts and bolts are concerned? The two chassis screws and nuts were the only ones labeled as to function. I had to go buy the screws needed to hold the eyelet board in place...is there any other hardware missing from this kit that i need to go buy?
      Why don't you start with a mail to mojotones. I guess they would be eager to help you out. Either shipping the missing parts or point you in the right direction.
      3. i have six jacks, one is mono, five are "shorting". Is the mono jack for the extension speaker?
      Take a close look at the circuit layout, you should be able to make out what jack to use in the different places. Google(images) 5E3 layout
      I have more questins but maybe I wil stop here for now.
      I am trying to build a dry run and fit the hardware before i solder the board.
      I am still waiting on the cabinet from mojo.
      I believe there's as many ways of building an amp as there are builders. Your way might be an easy way, but solder might help you as it holds everything in place. If you go wrong you can resolder...

Edit, I didn't see any reply to this thread last time I was logged in. I do now, and my reply is somewhat redundant.
      Last edited by überfuzz; 02-15-2010, 07:18 AM. Reason: reply out of date
      In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Hi Everyone. This thread is old. The deluxe has long since been completed and sounds fantastic. Mojo did not provide enough wire, not even close. They did not provide all the hardware necessary to complete the kit (self tapping board mounting screws) but managed to provide hardware that was completely unnecessary (chassis strap screws? but there are no chassis straps on a tweed deluxe?). The rectifier tube they supply is not acceptable. but these are minor isssues. I would sill recommend the mojo 5E3 kit.

Since the mojo 5E3 came out well, months later I decided to try their 18 watt kit when it was on sale in october. Big mistake! The mojo 18 watt kit is just poorly conceived and implemented. The schematic has errrors and omissions, they changed the layout from the original and it is fundamentally flawed because they put the trem footswitch jack in the worst possible place just so they could use the same chassis they use for their jtm. The layout does not show any grounding scheeme , it doesnt even show the heater wires. It calls for sheilded wire yet none is provided and mojo doesnt even sell non external braided sheilded wire. That is failure right there. I order a kit and immediately have to order form somewhere else to get the parts necessary to complete it? lame. But the big problem is the layout. I wil be trying to fix this thing in the next couple weeks...argh!

so to sum up:
        mojo 5E3: thumbs up with some minor issues. order more wire with your kit and a decent rectifier tube.

mojo 18 watt kit: stop! do not buy! try brown note, gds ...anyone but mojo.
        Hey Ben, I ordered a Mojotone 18 watt kit and you are absolutely right on everything you just said. I am having the exact issues you had. I tried to start up the amp today and no luck. Is the wiring really messed up?

Comment

Working...
        X