Hybrid Distortion Pedal, Dr. Blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid Distortion Pedal, Dr. Blade

My fave distortion pedal is down. The voltages are off in the PS. can I simplify things here?
    I think the pins layout is reversed by mistake on the schematic for the 5 V regulator. Pin 1 should be in..
    What's with all this cicuitry this isn't a piece of hospital equipment?

Are these ICs necessary.I had a schematic drawn up which I'll share with the world, I suppose. Hope Todd B. doesn't mind. Apparently Todds company was ruined my an accounting temp. and things have been down for a decade. This is a very vicious tone machine but C104 was a highs killer.

Any mod ideas are welcome. This thing made me famous at music college but IT only likes to mate with clean preamps.
    Attached Files

still not working so, a bump

Comment

The voltages are off in the PS.
      Can you elaborate a bit?

can I simplify things here?
      Every component I see has a definite purpose, and you were happy with the sound when it was working, so I would say not to try - but see mod advice below.

What's with all this cicuitry this isn't a piece of hospital equipment?
      Just FWIW, this is one of the least complex effects schematics I've seen in quite a while. If it were my pedal I would remove the clipping diodes D105/D105 to see what effect that had on the sound, and you might consider replacing the 12AX7 with a 12AE7, which is designed to run on an extremely low (<16V) B+ voltage; it has much lower gain than the 12AX7 in both sections, but with circuit values set up for max gain and a reasonable amount of current flow you might end up with the same amount of overdrive as the extremely low-gain, starvation-biased circuit used in this circuit, possibly with a better overdrive tone as well. One side is a gain stage and one is a power stage, and the pinout is the same as a 12AX7.

Ray

Comment

thanks Ray,

if I had a payroll you'd be on it. i'll work on that piece again soon.

till then, check out Fresnel amps. Who is that guy an Ampager or what?

Comment

The little 78L05 is not the larger 7805 TO220. Check the data sheet for the pinout. it is not the same as the larger ones.

Yeah, what do you mean by "off?" If you get about 12 and about 6, you are fine.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

DUDE!

I've been looking for this shematic for about 4 years.

I've practically gutted mine trying to find why i was getting some nasty crossover distortion. It's been on the shelf for about a year now, but it looks like shes coming back down tonight.

Comment

Fixed

Man, am I happy. This thing is rocking again. I think it was partly a bad pot that was dropping the output WAY down. I got a real tech to check the voltages and he soldered in some IC sockets and dropped in some kickas~ ICs. It sounds really amazing, I think Nuno would love it. Two string arpeggios are playable with just the left hand.

I'd like to add a mid-cut circuit next to the tone-cut cap/pot (right before the output). What would be a good small inductor-based circuit to use? 700 Hz with a wide Q. This is to avoid the typical tone circuit. I might make it switchable.

The main design complaint, I have, is regarding the close, internal proximity of the power transformer which induces noticeable hum. So it will get moved and spliced into a small box outside.

I've tried the Mesa tube Pedal and this kills it. Only the Silver Dragon holds its own. Actually, it sounds better than my amp's built in Lee Jackson designed preamp when going through the clean channel. Anyone want an Ampeg VL-502 (almost kidding)?

By the way, thanks.
              Last edited by Guitarist; 08-01-2008, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist View Post
                ...check out Fresnel amps.
                Got a link to go with that?
                -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

OK, spelled with a Z: http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/id18.html

At this pricing I'd say the tube-toner has a ministry.

I can't remember what I was thinking exactly when I originally suggested his amps nor where I likely heard some clips.

Can we host sounds clips on this site?

Comment

Working...
                  X