Baldwin organ at Goodwill in Indy $149

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baldwin organ at Goodwill in Indy $149

The 96th street Goodwill in Indy has a Baldwin organ in beautiful shape for $149. I met the donor and she reports 'some of the tubes are burnt out', but I think it's restorable.

Main amp is 4 6BQ5s (EL84), secondary amp is another pair of those.
    2 reverb channels
    2x12 speakers and a rotary speaker
    A good dozen 12AX7s altogether

Don't think it's a tonewheel circuit, but I didn't get that deep.

Reported to weigh about 200lbs, truly lovely cabinet.
    I just don't have room.

Hope this helps!

Tone wheel generators are on Hammonds. Baldwin would not have a tone wheel.

Little old ladies are always focused on the furniture aspect - oh it looks so lovely in mahogany there.

There will be oscillators and freq dividers for the 12 notes of the scale. It is a tube circuit 50 years old. You will have many leaky or dried out caps. No big if you want to yank the amp out and play with that, but in the tone generation, there is a lot more stuff. One problem is drift. over time component value drift will cause oscillators to drift oput of tune. Easy enough to adjust the tuning on it... until you are at the end of the adjustment. When you run out of twiddle, all you can do is replace caps and maybe resistors to get the oscillator circuits back in the middle of their ranges so they can be tuned to pitch. It CAN be a huge job.

Not saying the organ can;t be restored or whether it is worth it or not. (doubtful) But just letting you know what you would likely be getting into.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Pretty much why I didn't jump on it right then. If it's still there in a week (prices drop 50% if it's been on the shelf that long) I might think about it.

Comment

Working...
      X