Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard actuator pads

I guess that's what they're called.
    Those rubber pads that make contact with the pc board when you strike a key (like a remote) tend to get warped or out of shape and then that key won't work.
    Any tips for shrinking or reforming them so they'll make contact properly?
    Anyone sell replacements?
    this time it's an Oberheim OB-8.

There are various types, and I don't recall what the OB used. Probably get better answers in a synth forum. SInce a lot of the keybeds in synths were made by Fatar, many times you can use some other brand key contact strips.

But they are all similar, a soft rubber dome flexes and lets the rubber contact hit the pc board traces. The dome can rip around the edges, causing it to partially collapse or sit funny. Replacement is the only option there. Push them sideways to see if there is an opening along the edge of the skirt.

Clean the contacts - I use alcohol and a Qtip and swab down the pc board contacts. I use the same to wipe off the rubber dots. DOn;t use any cleaners or solvents on those rubber dots. Do not spray Deoxit on any of it.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Crap, too late on the Deoxit.
      that and alcohol will cause the rubber to expand ( I forgot like an idiot) so they don't sit flat on the pc board and don't compress properly to let the black circle part make proper contact with the board.
      Can you tell I've done this before?
      Anyway, they aren't ripped or torn, just expanded...now I need to shrink them.

Comment

They shouldn;t absorb alcohol much, use it to clean the DEoxit off. Then leave them sitting out so the excess hydrocarbons can evaporate from the rubber. They should shrink back down before too much longer. Unless you soaked them, that might be bad.

Look here and scroll about half way down, there are photos of basic rubber key contacts. DO yours look like these? Not sorta like these, I mean just like these?
        Casio CZ Keyboard Synthesizer Electric Electronic Pianos Parts. Casio CZ-101 Keyboard parts keys for sale.

Here, read this: The Korg contacts descrobed are similar to the Casios, but slightly different.
        Old Crow's Synth Shop: Cleaning Korg Keyboard Contacts

Here is an example of dual contacts for velocity keybeds.
        Fatar Rubber Contact for SL880 & 990 13.13 :: Fatar keyboard parts :: Miscellaneous (power cords, cable organizers & more) :: Accessories :: The Midi Store
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yup, they are exactly the same type.
          I'll have to see what I have around the house, I checked my sons little keys, but his are different.
          Thanks for going through the trouble to post this info.

Comment

Working...
          X