What's the best reverb tube/circuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best reverb tube/circuit?

Most Fender amps use a 12AT7 wired in parallel for the reverb driver, but some of their modern custom shop amps use a 6V6 instead.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which driver tube, or reverb circuit, leads to a fabulous or lush reverb?

Thanks!!!
    See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
    http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

The key feature of the 6K6-based reverb is the 'Dwell' control that sets how much signal gets sent into the tank. That the bigger tube can also hit the tank harder may help.

Look at the 6G15 external 'verb circuit so the rest of the amp bits don't distract.

In the 12AT7-based circuit, I think you could replace the AT7's 1M grid resistor with a 1M pot (not sure what taper) and get a pretty good approximation.

You might also try making that 500pF series cap leading to the reverb bigger - 1nF, maybe?

Hope this helps!

Comment

Moose is right on. Did the 1M dwell pot on a AB763 clone and used a long 3 spring tank (don't remember the #). Plenty of power to drive the tank and you can tame it with the pot.

Works VERY well. Crank it all the way up and Dick Dale would love it.
      Highly reccomended!

Comment

Actually, the front panel is getting fairly filled up with knobs, but a dwell does sound cool.

I'm designing something based on the Princeton Reverb, but with middle tone, presence and master volume, plus a power and standby switch on the front.

It's a single-ended amp, so I now have an extra 1/2 a 12AX7 I can stick somewhere.

What do you think of adding a cathode follower before the tone stack (ala Bassman 5f6)?
        See the birth of a 2-watt tube guitar amp - the "Dyno Tweed"
        http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/DynoTweed.html

Comment

FWIW this is what I'm building at the mo'. I really love the 6V6-driven sound of my 6G15 clone and I wanted to get it into a bassman as much as possible, and I think this will do it - build is about 50% complete - I expect to finish it in the next week or two (before the trouble actually begins)
          Attached Files
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Working...
          X