Has anyone ever heard of "Tour Sound Products"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever heard of "Tour Sound Products"

I just did a swap for a Valve Junior, which came with a 2x12 cab, 8 ohms, sealed back, 2 16 ohm small ceramic-magnet drivers marked 9787951. On the back reads: Tour Sound Products, Bohemia, New York.

I got nothing useful from google, but I know that the folks on this forum have astounded me in the past. Does anybody know what's in this? The model and serial numbers aren't visible at all. They may have been on a sticker that detached.

Thanks for looking!

Korean SS junk from the late 70s/early 80s. Had a tendency to flame out dramatically when they burned up. There's a reason you don't see many of these around these days....
    The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Thanks!

I think We're safe. I don't think that the thundering 5 watts will cause the speakers to burst into flames.

Comment

Oh the *speakers* were marked Tour Sound.....ok. I was referring to the amps and PA stuff that made the rounds back in the day.
        The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

The Tour sound Products Inc (Bohemia New york) "Studio" guitar amps is one of the coolest guitar amps I have ever come across.
          Here's the list of the Amps functionality: Rear switching connector (like a dumble) dual ganged input (like a marshall/dumbel) a really Cool Phaser with shaping (like MXR), overdrive/crunch, a, b, and combined channels (like a dumble)
          real custom spring reverb, and a lot of really clean power. Yes, a part of it was made in korea, but the phaser is one of the best phasers I have ever heard. Does it have noise, yep it does, but run a RMI keyboard
          thru it a little dirty with sustain and gang the input and you've got a freaky loud and aggressive sound that you'll find it rather hard to repeat. Lastly these things are getting real old so they'll need some cleaner in the pots but it's a keeper in my book for sure!!!

Scotty

Comment

Funny you choose to compare it to a Dumble and not to the 3 million other amps out there with same features (power switch in the back panel? ..... WOW

But maybe you're right.
            When I put my old klunker bicycle on sale, I'll describe it like:

" has 2 wheels !!!! like a Harley Davidson !!!!! "

"to drive it you grab the handlebar with both hands !!!!!! like a Harley Davidson !!!!! "

Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Tour made a lot of outright junk and I spent a lot of time wasting my time trying to fix it. HOWEVER at the hi end of their scale they did make a couple of good bass amps. One of my customers has one, it sounds good, powerful, and (knock wood) has never failed. Lets hope it stays that way. Those who are satisfied with their Tour amps, good for you and I wish you the same never ending super good luck.
              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Sounds a lot more like the 1980 Peavey Deuce VT I have in storage...

Justin
                "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Yes, the first ones looked just like a Peavey, minus the actual pointy logo.

Maybe they tried to pull something similar to what Earth Sound Research tried to do in the 70's, and were sued to death by Peavey ... with good reason:

when the Peaveyish affair tumbled, they of course had another very original idea:

I bet these will make a couple respected Forum Members quite angry:

until AT LAST they developed their own image ... sort of:

What - were - they - thinking?

So I am not surprised at all by Tour Sound Peavey knockoff .
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                    Yes, the first ones looked just like a Peavey, minus the actual pointy logo. Maybe they tried to pull something similar to what Earth Sound Research tried to do in the 70's, and were sued to death by Peavey ... with good reason: < snip > So I am not surprised at all by Tour Sound Peavey knockoff .
                    Recently had an Earth tube 100W bass head to maintain, wasn't half bad actually. Earth & Plush also had equivalents to Fender Dual Showman Reverb heads, same amp as a Twin Reverb, all point to point wired and can be made to work & sound just right, need the usual care. What's a little annoying, some of the owners don't value their downmarket equipment because it doesn't carry the Fender cachet & cash value, so they forego necessary maintenance like fresh filter caps. One of my less smart customers let his Earth 4-channel PA head go like that, it lasted a couple more years then the filters failed taking down the power transformer of course turning it into a very expensive repair. Which he chose not to do after he got the estimate.

Under that tuck n roll, the cabinetry is second rate at best.

IIRC Peavey started out late 60's copying tweed Fenders and had to "cease and desist" after getting nastygrams from CBS/Fender lawyers. The fun just goes round and round doesn't it?
                    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

What - were - they - thinking?
                      If tuck-and-roll is cool, then two-toned tuck-and-roll must be twice as cool.
                      Right?
                      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Funny you choose to compare it to a Dumble and not to the 3 million other amps out there with same features (power switch in the back panel? ..... WOW

But maybe you're right.
                        When I put my old klunker bicycle on sale, I'll describe it like:

" has 2 wheels !!!! like a Harley Davidson !!!!! "

"to drive it you grab the handlebar with both hands !!!!!! like a Harley Davidson !!!!! "

Please if I may explain:
                        I've been to Alexander Dumble's shop in Santa Cruz when it was open years ago. I've had one of his modifyed amps. I've built copies from Nik (Ceriatone.com) in Malaysia.
                        What I was trying to convey was my surprise in what some forum's depicted as an almost worthless amp because when I started fixing the amp, then testing it thru vintage Leslies,
                        Fender Strats, Vintage EV12L's and vintage keyboards, the sound I got was rather 70-ish and accurate, with tone's somewhat similar to David Gilmour's phase/doppler effect. Actually, and as a reference, the Leslie's i'm testing with are the
                        825 and a 900, and as you know, David has a 900 in one of his studio videos with 3 Neumanns recording it.
                        My point was-is, "If you come across this amp in the trash heap due to forum posts, you may want to reconsider and be the one emptying the trash, because you may be surprised with the character and functionality of this relatively inexpensive amp"
                        Secondly, I don't know of too many transistor based amps made in the late 70's to early 80's that include "Phase effect" and "Phase Angle", Custom (non accutronics) reverb with gain pot, multi-channel with separate high-gain bridged
                        inputs, separate A channel volume, seperate B channel volume, master volume, 3 band eq, high frequency enable switch, record line out, 5 pin pedal switcher, and separate "variable clipping channel" gain control that sounds really cool, and like nothing
                        I've ever heard before.
                        I hope this helps, Take care! Scotty
                        Last edited by skytel; 09-24-2015, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Hi scotty yes I found an old 8 channel desk its cool, dosent burn or run off to the trash can, it has no concieted character floors and cost $100. and its all pots no sliders here. But the name and the fact they started in New York would be a good thing at least, it has roots even if they ran off to asia like apple and everybody else bring back america, dont leave the boys and girls behind.

Comment

Working...
                          X