Please help with 5E3 build !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help with 5E3 build !

I finished a 5E3 ish build and here are some measurments (amp on, all tubes in):

5Y3:
    pin2: 340VDC
    pin8: 340VDC

6V6:
    pin3: 340VDC
    pin3: 340VDC

All heaters ared 6.3VAC

Board from left to righ:

16uF#1: 340VDC
    16uF#2: 340VDC
    16uF#3: 250VDC
    1M: 35VDC
    1K5/.047uF: 84VDC
    56K/.047uF: 180VDC
    100K/.022uF: 109VDC
    1K5/25uF: 2VDC
    100K/.1uF: 163VDC
    100K/.047uF: 144VDC
    2K7/.68uF: 1.90VDC
    1K5/25uF: 1.50VDC

Cathode resistor is 660 ohms (!) to get the the bias to 22mA.

PS: The Tung Sol RI 6V6s I use are rated at 12W max dissipation.

The volume/tone pots are wired like a 6G3 and I use a 6H choke instead of the 5K6 resistor.

Split cathode on V1 like a Super Lead.

The amp doesn't distort much, no bright cap on the pot since I already have a lot of top (strange).

The break up isn't great, the highs become buzzy/farty sounding. I use a 470 Ohms resistor between pin 4 and 6 of the power tubes and a 1K5 between pins 1 and 5.

I used this layout:
    http://stvnscott.websitetoolbox.com/file?id=532328

Is there anything that looks suspicious in the voltages above ?

Should I measure something else ?

On your layout the point (c) - on the second filter cap - should go to pin 6 of the 6V6 tubes instead of pin 4. To let them 470 ohms resistors have a purpose.
    660 ohms is way too high IMHO. The schematic says 250 ohms. If you don't wanna run the amp too hot you might try a 330 or 390 ohms for a start. The higher the resistance the 'colder' you run the amp. Running the amp too cold could result in a harsh and rasping sound.

And welcome to the forum, BTW.

Comment

Thanks mate.

Actually, I measured the B+ on pin 3 of the power tubes sockets with the tubes out, and I get 405V.

I changed the cathode resistor to 440 Ohms so the tubes give a bit more than 10W of power.

Hmmm, interesting about the the change to pin4 to pin6.

The other odd thing is that I don't have a lot of gain (a lot less than my original 5E3).

Comment

Originally posted by MHProd View Post
        The other odd thing is that I don't have a lot of gain (a lot less than my original 5E3).
        I believe that'll change with the 'smaller' cathode resistor. The power tubes can't run hot enough right now and don't get into saturation, hence less gain. Are the values in the preamp just like stock? Double check.

Comment

With cathode bias, you can run the output tubes flat out without hurting them - so try 250-270R and see how you like the sound.
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Thanks guys.

As I said, with the 440 Cathode R, I get a dissipation of 10.2 watts on the tubes. The Tung Sol reissue 6V6s are rated at 12W max plate disp. (not the usual 14).

So I guess it's pretty good.

I will try some Zener diodes to drop the B+ on the plates.

BTW, the transformers are Mercury Magnetics.
            Last edited by MHProd; 06-17-2009, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys.

As I said, with the 440 Cathode R, I get a dissipation of 10.2 watts on the tubes. The Tung Sol reissue 6V6s are rated at 12W max plate disp. (not the usual 14).

So I guess it's pretty good.

I will try some Zener diodes to drop the B+ on the plates.

BTW, the transformers are Mercury Magnetics.

I triple checked my wiring and If I plug the amp straight into the wall, it gets the filaments to 8VAC ! I use a Variac to bring them down to 6.3VAC (variac on 110V).

Do you have any idea why I would get too much volts on the filament ? What kind of mistake in the wiring would create this ?
              i dont know what kind of problem could do that, 8v is 25% higher than 6.3v, not an insignificant amount. what was the wall voltage at when you had the voltage at 8v? would have been 137.5 or so calculating it, which isnt what you should have at the socket. there shouldnt be a tap to give those voltages.

how was the amp sounding when you had the transformer running at the right voltages? it could have been running well with a correctly valued cathode resistor to suit the lower voltages.

Comment

What goes in comes out - in this case, the higher filament voltage is the result of your higher wall voltage.

It really doesn't matter if you run 6V6GTs at 12W in a cathode biased PP amp. You'll get better saturation - if that's what you want.

I'm reminded of one of Bruce Collin's opinions on the subject here;

http://blueguitar.org/new/text/threa...%20Biasing.pdf
                Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Filaments are actually 6.8V (sorry I forgot the 6.). Wall is 120V most of the time. So obviously, it's not a big deal.

I will try to get as close as 12W disp. as possible.

I rewired the 2nd cap to Pin 6 instead of Pin 4. I was wondering why I STILL had treble oscillation with a 3.3K grid resistor !!

I wouldn't mind adding an extra Tone pot too (Right now the pots are wired like a 5E3, not 6G3). In that case, should I solder leg 3 of each volume pot to pin2 of V2 ?

Anyway, I'll see if all that makes the amp sound better and I'll post the results.

Thanks Again !

Comment

In that case, should I solder leg 3 of each volume pot to pin2 of V2 ?
                    NOPE.
                    Put a 220k mixing resistor after each vol pot wiper like in the 6G3 schematic. The two signals paths need to be separated from each other.

Comment

Just to be sure, to measure the B+, I check to pin 3 of the power tubes with the tubes out, right ?

When the amp isn't plugged in the Variac, I get 435VDC !

I changed the cathode resistor to a 390 Ohms, so I get just over 12W of disp.

If I check the B+ on pin 3, I now get 310VDC... Is that normal ?

Comment

Tubes out means no load and therefore higher voltages. Measure with the tubes IN the sockets.
                        Voltages within reasonable areas (+/- 10%) are no problem at all.
                        Go for the ~270 ohms resistor like tubeswell proposed and don't mind the dissipation of anything.
                        Every genuine 5E3 runs at 250 ohms and around 350v (+/-) of plate voltage AFAIK.
                        There should be no problem.

Comment

Whoa! Slow down...

"When the amp isn't plugged in the Variac, I get 435VDC !" Is that with or without tubes? With no tubes installed & no variac that sounds about right. What do you get with a 330ohm cathode resistor, tubes installed and the amp plugged straight into the wall? The larger the cathode resistor you use, the greater your plate voltage will be.

There's little point in measuring B+ without power tubes drawing current, you don't get a realistic reading.

"If I check the B+ on pin 3, I now get 310VDC... Is that normal ?" 310v is not normal in a 5E3 style amp, for example Fender's 57 Deluxe amp runs 390vdc with stock tubes & rectifier, it also uses Russian 6V6 tubes (EH).

If rebiasing has knocked 125vdc off your plate voltage (435-310v, amp NOT plugged into variac in both cases) then no, that's not normal.

But if rebiasing has knocked 30vdc off your plate voltage (340-310v, amp IS plugged into the variac in both cases) then that might be normal.

I don't think that you need the variac at all from the voltages you are quoting.
                          If it is just the heaters that are concerning you, then be aware that tubes are designed to see "6.3 to 6.9VAC", many vintage Fenders are around the 7VAC mark.

Comment

So that means I got it all wrong...

OK, so with a 270 Ohms cathode R, I get 322V B+ on the plates.

20.3V accross the cathode R.

Comment

Is that without the variac?

Comment

Working...
                              X