My Schatten clone build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Schatten clone build

I've been busy finding bits and pieces for the last month or so to build myself a clone of the Schatten winder.

I'm not exactly done but since it works already I couldn't resist making a pickup with it

I'd like to thank David Schwabb for putting up pics of the guts of the Schatten winder and for his additional help through e-mails with this project.

Here is the guts of the winder. An On/off switch, the 2.1mm jack for the wall wart and the 12 volt DC motor speed controller with its knob. The speed controller is a DIY kit from an electronics shop. The counter is a CUB3 it's activated with a reed switch and magnet. The magnet that came with it didn't work very well so I upgraded it with and alnico V musicman bass magnet that I incrusted in the wooden piece. I superglued two bearings to the sides of the plastic box for the steel rod. The steel rod I originally bought (had to buy a 4 meter length trough a steel supplier ) wasn't straight and the winder wouldn't work properly. I was pissed but I upgraded to a bass neck carbon fiber rod for my tests, it's the only 1/4" rod I had lying around

I had to drill holes in the wooden piece to accomodate the pole pieces coming out of the flatwork. That's why the bobbin is holding with two pieces of tape.

and here we are half a musicman humbucker, I'm pretty happy the winder works. After doing this I now know that the plastic housing is crap and I'm going to buy an aluminium one to stick all the components in. I'll post another pic once the project is over.
    BTW I've searched high and low for aluminium pulleys and can't find them anywhere for this thing and had to live with this crappy plastic set. If anyone's got any links to where you can find small ones for this project I'd be extremely happy. A lathe's too expensive to buy just to machine two pulleys.
    www.MaillouxBasses.com
    www.OzBassForum.com

Hey Phil, that looks great! You know the newer version of the Schatten has a plastic case too.

Glad I was able to help.

McMaster-Carr has aluminum pulleys starting at .425" outside diameter.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Nice looking bass pickup you have there. Better cut that winder's mainshaft down before you poke an eye out or something...

I see you're using 'red' wire. What does it sound like in a bass?
      I bought some 42 and 43 but I haven't tried it out yet.

Ken
      www.angeltone.com

Comment

Hey Ken,

I didn't get to test the pickup physically yet. I just tested the output with a multimeter. That one is the 42 AWG that Stewmac sells. All the wire I ever bought was red so I can't really tell you the difference in other colors

Oh yeah and that shaft is coming out of that winder and will become reinforcing rods in a bass neck as soon as I can find flat 1/4" steel rods. In between that time I'll try not to poke my eye out
        www.MaillouxBasses.com
        www.OzBassForum.com

Comment

Originally posted by Phil m View Post
          BTW I've searched high and low for aluminium pulleys and can't find them anywhere for this thing and had to live with this crappy plastic set. If anyone's got any links to where you can find small ones for this project I'd be extremely happy. A lathe's too expensive to buy just to machine two pulleys.
          I got many mechanical components from Stock Drive Products/Sterling Instruments: http://www.sdp-si.com. It's best to get their paper catalog, as browsing on their website is clumsy.

Comment

Hello...

Of course I was kidding about the 'poke your eyes out' thing. My son's been here watching 'The Christmas Story' movie 24/7 all week.

The wire you're using looks like solderon, plain enamel wire like Fender used
            is kidney bean red (reddish brown) and Formvar wire is honey colored.

How long of a rod do you need?

Ken
            www.angeltone.com

Comment

How long of a rod do you need?
              About 8" long. You got spare 1/4" dia flat rods?
              www.MaillouxBasses.com
              www.OzBassForum.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                Of course I was kidding about the 'poke your eyes out' thing. My son's been here watching 'The Christmas Story' movie 24/7 all week.
                I love that movie! I grew up on a Cleveland Street too.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Phil - Email me support@angeltone.com, I have some rods.

Ken
                  www.angeltone.com

Comment

David, did you know the real house used as 'exteriors' in the movie is now a tourist attraction? A fan of the movie bought it and spent over half a million USD
                    buying it and the house across the street and redoing them to look exactly as they did in the movie. How'd he get the money? Making and selling those 'leg lamps' on the Internet.

No Lie.

Ken
                    www.angeltone.com

Comment

Oh that's too funny!

Comment

No really, I heard it on the radio one morning driving to work. At first I thought it was a joke, but I heard it again later in the day on a different station too.

Ken
                        www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                          No really, I heard it on the radio one morning driving to work. At first I thought it was a joke, but I heard it again later in the day on a different station too.

Ken
                          Yeah, it's real... A Christmas Story House

And... the Leg Lamps

Comment

Hey Dave... nice leg you got there...

Ken
                            www.angeltone.com

Comment

Hi everyone!

I would like to build a winder as well!! Can I find schematics anywhere, or pics on how to build one?? Thnx in advance!

Paul
                              www.myspace.com/londoncustoms

Comment

Working...
                              X