Madison Divinity II Head volume problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madison Divinity II Head volume problems

Hello! This is my first post on this forum, and unfortunately it has to be about a problem.

I've owned a Madison Divinity II head for about two years. I know it isn't that common of an amp, so here is some important information:
    -Preamp tubes- 4 Electro Harmonix 12ax7
    -Power tubes- 4 Ruby Tubes 6l6
    120 watts

Any more information can be found at their website at Untitled Document

So, onto the problem. The amp worked fine for two years, and I had not replaced any parts, even tubes. One day I had been playing for about two hours when I lost all volume through the speakers. The sound did not cut out, and there was no pop or hiss, or any noise in general, just a gradual (but quick) loss of volume...probably over the course of 3 seconds.

I put the amp into standby for about 10 minutes and turned it back on. The amp worked fine for the half hour more I played, and I turned it off.

The next time I went to play, the amp worked fine for about an hour before the same problem occurred again. This time, I had no sound even after putting the amp into standby. Now, I can only turn the amp on for about 15-20 minutes before the volume drops. I just replace the preamp tubes with another set of EH 12ax7s, but the problem continues.

I'm considering just buying another set of power tubes, but I want to make sure I'm not just wasting money. Are there any other problems I should be looking into? I'll admit that I don't have much experience with amp tech work, but any help I can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The huge clue is the sound fades out over 2-3 seconds. When the sound fades out, look at your tubes. Each one has a little orange heater glowing inside. Has that heater gone out on any or all of your tubes?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
      The huge clue is the sound fades out over 2-3 seconds. When the sound fades out, look at your tubes. Each one has a little orange heater glowing inside. Has that heater gone out on any or all of your tubes?
      Once the sound fades out, there is no difference in the appearance of the tubes. Each of the power tubes still glow their usual orange color. I also checked to see if maybe the color changed even slightly, but it doesn't appear that any change occurred.

Comment

They either glow orange or don't. I wouldn;t expect them to turn green or something.

But what about the preamp tubes? There should be two little orange heaters in each one.

it is also possible your B+ is being interrupted, but that usually fades a lot faster than 3 seconds. The experiment would be to flip the standby switch off. Does THAT fade faster than your 3 second thing? or is it the same?

Every time I try to open the Madison web page, it locks up my browser. I ain;t going there anymore.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
          They either glow orange or don't. I wouldn;t expect them to turn green or something.

But what about the preamp tubes? There should be two little orange heaters in each one.

it is also possible your B+ is being interrupted, but that usually fades a lot faster than 3 seconds. The experiment would be to flip the standby switch off. Does THAT fade faster than your 3 second thing? or is it the same?

Every time I try to open the Madison web page, it locks up my browser. I ain;t going there anymore.
          Hmm...I haven't had a problem with their web page. I tried powering the amp up again and this time I've noticed that one of the power tubes (the first one) is glowing quite dull, but only on the top. Perhaps the problem has finally been revealed? Does a dull glow mean the tube is dying?

Comment

If it is glowing like the others on the bottom end, then no. Besides, if hte problem is dipping power levels adn the duller tube is duller while the power level is high, then the tube doesn;t seem to be at fault.

Comment

Well thanks a lot for the help so far, much appreciated. Should I take it to an amp tech then or do you think it's something I could fix myself? I saw somewhere else on the forum that Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amps sometimes have a similar problem. The diagnosis was that the resistors (I think) overheat and burn a bit. I do have an average knowledge of circuit boards and I'd be able to do some soldering work, but at the same time I'd be a little uneasy taking the amp apart. Once again, thanks so much for the responses. I'd like to fix the problem with the lowest cost as possible

Comment

Working...
              X