"So Watt" -$225.00 Weber 5E3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "So Watt" -$225.00 Weber 5E3?

They have some pictures of this up on the Telecaster forum and a lively debate is raging.

I think I'd rather see a discussion than a debate, but for either case, here's the pictures:

[ATTACH]5587[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5588[/ATTACH]
    -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

You're right... poor choice of words.

Comment

"...a lively debate is raging."

I think political correctness is going mad if this is deemed worthy of a janitors comment!

I would have thought this was a reasonable choice of words, ditto with

"lively discussion is raging"

But weber kit is a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by thumbs View Post
          You're right... poor choice of words.
          I see nothing wrong with your choice of words, Paul. In fact I think it's accurate; there is a bit of a debate going on over there.

I was really just trying to say (apparently without success) that I'd like to see a technical discussion of Ted's new import offering here in the 5E3 forum, rather than a rehash of the "price vs quality vs patriotism" aspects of the product.
          -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

A "debate" isn't necessarily negative. It's just a discussion where there is more than one position being represented and verbally justified.

Comment

It's not a kit. This is a fully assembled and tested 5E3 chassis, complete with tubes. Ted's blog says it's being offered as a platform for experimentation for those of us who lack the skills required to assemble a kit. As you may have guessed, it's made overseas.
              I agree that this forum is not the place to discuss outsourcing, politics, or patriotism. I did think a working 5E3 chassis, at this price point, was newsworthy. In the meantime, I'll be looking forward to reading the reviews!

Comment

I just built my first amp, a 5e3-based head, but i still want to try one of these kits. It's not a pc board, it was hand assembled, but it's still cheap and definitely worth the money if it works. Plus its something you could monkey with, change values, see what happens, and you're out a minimal investment.

Comment

They have some pictures of this up on the Telecaster forum and a lively debate is raging.
                  Do you have a link to the thread?

I can't find it.
                  --
                  Richard _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
                  "Sorry for the Inconvenience."

Comment

It's not a kit. This is a fully assembled and tested 5E3 chassis, complete with tubes....
                    Tubes are the one thing not included. (Besides the cabinet of course)

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_weber.htm#sowatt
                    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                    - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
                      Tubes are the one thing not included. (Besides the cabinet of course)

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_weber.htm#sowatt
                      Did it go up in price all ready? $240.
                      I think its best to hack through building the kit. There's more to learn from making mistakes than having it already assembled.

Comment

Looking at those photos, I wouldn't touch that with a 10-foot pole.

If you want to do a GOOD 5E3, Weber is NOT the way to go.

Comment

At $240, even with no tubes, it doesn't look that bad to me... ha ha

However, I don't like the idea of those Chinese builders wiring the switching jacks wrong and you have to fix it but... maybe that's the only goof.
                          Bruce

Mission Amps
                          Denver, CO. 80022
                          www.missionamps.com
                          303-955-2412

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce / Mission Amps View Post
                            At $240, even with no tubes, it doesn't look that bad to me... ha ha

However, I don't like the idea of those Chinese builders wiring the switching jacks wrong and you have to fix it but... maybe that's the only goof.
                            One man's trash...

I'd rather spend the money and do things correctly. Call me a purist, or a spendthrift, but I go with MM iron, Sprague Electrolytics (If only Solen would make a 16uf 500V cap, I'd never use another electrolytic), Mallory 150s and so forth. I confess, the only NOS tubes I use are the AY7 and the rectifier (I'm a big fan of JJ 6V6s and ECC803s for V2). But I like CC resistors in the signal section.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Re: "We have found that the input and output jacks are wired incorrectly. The TIP and SWITCH are reversed. You can easily reverse these and have a pretty decent little amplifier. "

So they know it's wrong but they don't fix it before delivery. Watts up with that? That must mean that they assembled for you but it was never turned on or tested. I guess that's OK for the price as long as it's disclosed. However ... think I'll just stop here and turn in for the night.

Comment

Working...
                              X