Old tube radio to convert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old tube radio to convert

I recently came into possession of a Zenith H725 tube radio the schematic is here http://oldtech.net/Zenith/H725Z1.gif from what I can tell it is close to that. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or if they've worked with any of these tubes as preamp tubes. I was thinking of just using the power tube and maybe one or two others, the 12AT7 would be one obvious choice for a preamp tube. I'm thinking I'll only be able to get 1-2 watts out of it, but mostly just looking for a project and to increase my amp building skills. I'm thinking probably just a vol and tone or vol, bass, treble and master.

Thank you,

John

Waaay too many odd tubes and interstage transformers to make it into anything like a typical guitar amp. I don't expect the layout would be friendly to the task either. But unless it's a cosmetic train wreck you could do a restoration on it, sell it, and use the procedes to fund a guitar amp project.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Radio is collectable and it is an AC/DC set

Zenith radios are collectable and should be left alone unless this one is cosmetically challenged beyond being salvage. It is also an AC/DC set similar to what is called an "All American Five" circuit--although with the 19t8 tube it is probably an AM and FM radio. These radios do not have power transformers, use serial filaments (the filament voltages add up to about the same voltage as household current at the time (110 volts)). As radios they were somewhat dangerous as one side of the electric line was attached to the chassis. This is an extremely dangerous type of circuit for electric guitars--remember that the strings and bridge of an electric guitar are connected to the amp chassis (ground). Sell it and use the money for something else. If you want to convert something look through junk stores and flea markets for old tube PA heads--few of them are desirable.

Comment

Working...
      X