Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 Power transformer

Hi Guy's,

I've been reading alot on here and the internet generally and just starting my 5E3 buildI am ready to buy my power transformer.

I'm going to go for either a Hammond 372BX (300-0-300) 100mA trany or a Hammond 260J (325-0-325) 150mA unit, I gather somewhere between to two would give me the vintage correct B+ voltages bearing in mind I'm the UK and if I select the right 5Y3GT rectifier? It'll be a head version and not a replica, I want the sound and the feel, not the look!

Please confirm what you're finding s have been, other than that all values will be pretty much stock, for a starting point!

Cheers

Phil
    Last edited by Philr228; 06-25-2009, 04:30 PM. Reason: Oversight

325-0-325 will be closest.

Comment

Thanks MWJB for your reply, I've seen a 'direct' Hammond replacement for the original power transformer rated at 70mA would that be upto the job bearing in mind the current draw of the 6V6's? (I know that depends on the bias level)!

Phil

Comment

Your 6V6s will draw 35-40mA each, plus screens (2-3mA), plus a few mA for preamp tubes...I'd like to see a little more current rating than 70mA.

Princeton PTs are rated at 70ma, so it would probably "work", but I'd personally go with 100mA+.

Comment

Thanks again MWJB I think I'm inclined to believe you on that score, and feel 70mA a bit close to the edge, it needs some extra, plus keep it cooler if I use 100mA plus, also it's more enclosed in a head!

Phil

Comment

Working...
          X