Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First amp, need help choosing which.

Good day.

I have decided that I want to build a tube-amp. I just want to build a single-channeled Blackface-inspired low wattage amp for practicing. The problem is that I don't know where to start.

I have a bunch of tubes at home. I have at least two 6L6GCs, a bunch of 12AX7s and a 12AT7.Would be best if I could use these tubes in the project (I'm a cheap bastard, I know, but I want to use as little money as possible at forst, since it's probably going to be a disaster.

So I'm wondering, does anyone know about any schematics or kits that might fit me?

EDIT: Screw to low-wattage-part, I just want a clean-amp.
    Last edited by StigF; 06-27-2009, 03:28 AM.

Possibly a Weber 6A14HP would fit the bill. Basically a Princeton Reverb but with 6L6s.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_60a.htm#6A14HPx

(scroll down for 6A14HP)
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

I would stick with what may people put on their Desert Island list - The Princeton Reverb. Many pros and beginners alike love that amp. Since you are building it - you can build the same thing with more power by using larger transformers and 6L6's. Look at the Princeton Rreverb circuit and use the Vibrolux PT and OT instead.
      (By the way - there are many Princeton Reverb kits available)
      Black sheep, black sheep, you got some wool?
      Ya, I do man. My back is full.

Comment

Hi Stig F - welcome to the forum

If you are going to do a PR for 6L6s, use a slightly bigger OT (20-25W) with a primary load resistance of between 3k2 and 6k6. The stock PR uses a 12-15W little tweed deluxe OT with 8k load resistance, which is not really suitable for 6L6s.

And for 6L6s the PT will need to be rated about:

340-0-340 (to 360-0-360) @ 180-200mA
        6.3V @ 5A (or so - others might say go even higher than 5A)
        5V @ 3A
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Would a amp with 2 6L6s be considered a "low wattage amp for practicing"?

You might want to consider building a 6L6 Princton SE amp. Build the Princeton reverb but drop the phase inverter and tremelo circuit and use a cathode bias single 6L6 power tube.

Opps, didn't see the edit.

Still may want to consider this build if your playing at home or practice. I have BF champ clone at home that can take 6V6, 6L6s etc (about 5-10 watts) which loves pedals and is an awsome amp for practice/home use.

A 6L6 princeton would be about 25 watts and a great amp for playing with the band but might not be as good in the studio or home.

Comment

You should look through the Weber kits. They offer the ala carte option that will allow you to deduct the tubes from your purchase.

I'd spend the money on a kit though. Trying to figure out and source all the parts you need for your first build could be a disaster. If you forget the slightest of things, your project will be on hold and it will happen more than once.

The kits have everything you need and these forums are loaded with super friendly and experienced guys to help you along.

Once you have a few kits under your belt (you cant build just one) you will get the feel for the things you need and self sourcing a project will be a little easier.

Comment

my vote is for an Ax84.com project; best support group out there.

Comment

Working...
              X